I wonder how much Mitt Romney has effected the success of The Book Of Mormon? I don’t think his identity as a Mormon has anything to do with it.
… about which of the songs in “The Book of Mormon“ are safe enough to present as the sample from the best nominated Musicals. Mormon is up for 14 Tonys, and although it probably won’t win them all, as the Drama Desk Awards showed last week, it is sure to take SOMETHING home.
I’ve been playing the album over and over on my iPhone and I think the piece that stands the best chance is the opening number “Hello,” yet that doesn’t show the experience in Uganda which makes up the body of the work. The songs in Uganda pose the biggest problems for television which cannot easily take “fuck you, God” or any and all the messages about the clitoris, or even the closing scene, which is a variation on “Hello” also full of the F word.
I must sat, I love the score and the story, however. I wish I was in New York so I could go see it (where apparently, it is frequently sold out.) It’s going to be a long time, if ever, before this gets to the Community Theatre market.
- Bargain Alert! The Book Of Mormon (MP3 Album) by the Broadway cast for $1.99! (randomizeme.wordpress.com)
- ‘Book of Mormon’ star Andrew Rannells talks Tonys – EXCLUSIVE VIDEO (popwatch.ew.com)
- The Book of Mormon: South Park takes the missionary position (theglobeandmail.com)
- Stage Door: Ghost Musical, War Horse, Sandra Bernhard, Tony Predix (thefilmexperience.net)
- ArtsBeat: Just How Much Is a Tony Worth? (artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com)
- 11 Musical Highlights From The 2011 Tony Award Nominees (fresh1027.radio.com)
- 11 Musical Highlights From The 2011 Tony Award Nominees (wlte.radio.com)