From Sen. Bernie Sanders:
…you have a Republican mindset that says, hmm, let’s see we can repair the infrastructure, save money long time, and create millions of jobs, bad idea. Barack Obama will look good, and we’ve got to do everything that we can to make Barack Obama look bad, so despite the fact that we had a modest bipartisan transportation bill, roads, bridges, public transit pass the senate with over 70 votes, Inhofe, the most conservative guy in the senate, working with Barbara Boxer, we can’t get that bill moving in the House of Representatives. So if you’re asking me why, I would say hundred percent political. If it’s good for America, if it creates jobs, if it’s good for Barack Obama, we can’t do it.”
Do the Republicans really think if they get Romney elected, the Democrats will not get even for this atrocious activity? The Dems have never filibustered EVERY legislation… but if they lose the Senate, watch them show what they learned from Mitch McConnell ( but watch for them to let REAL joint ventures that benefit Americans pass… Dems just can’t get as malicious as Repubs.)
Then again, the last three and a half years of Republicans’ anti-Obama activity may just become the convincing argument to keep Obama in power AND get back more of Congress.
- Bernie Sanders: “Wall Street drives us into a recession & Mr Romney wants to deregulate them more” (investmentwatchblog.com)
- Sen. Sanders on GOP mindset: If it’s good for America, we can’t do it (rawstory.com)
- Fed Members Gave Their Own Banks $4 Trillion In Secret Bailouts (alexanderhiggins.com)
- Sen. Sanders: Consumers should know if food is genetically modified (rawstory.com)
- Bernie Sanders: “Wall Street drives us into a recession & Mr Romney wants to deregulate them more” (freakoutnation.com)
- Bernie Sanders on the Buffet Rule (educationclearinghouse.wordpress.com)
- Sen. Bernie Sanders blasts economic inequality: This is not what democracy looks like (rawstory.com)
- Bernie Sanders and Friends Plan to Cut Fossil Fuel Subsidies (commondreams.org)
- “Path To Salvation Doesn’t Pass Through Barbarity”: Bernie Sanders Brings The Anti-Austerity Fight to America (mykeystrokes.com)
- William Bradley: With History Waiting At the Finish Line, Jerry Brown Heads Into the Final Curve of the Race (huffingtonpost.com)
- Whitman Has More Money, Less Juice (online.wsj.com)
If you are not concerned with what the US Chamber and Large Corporations can do to our freedom…especially our freedom to vote for candidates in a fair and honest way… then you are sleeping through a disaster.
Please read it all.
- Think Progress investigation: U.S. Chamber using foreign donations to attack Dems (dailykos.com)
- Big Business Lobby Thrust Into Political Firestorm (huffingtonpost.com)
- Buying elections with foreign funds? (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Joan Walsh: Conservatives’ Con Game Conflates Corporate Interests With the Little Person (crooksandliars.com)
- Media Parrot Far-left Blog’s Smear Campaign Against Chamber of Commerce, Ignore Identical Activities by Unions (newsbusters.org)
- Chamber of Commerce Hypocrisy on Bailouts [Dispatches from the Culture Wars] (scienceblogs.com)
- MoveOn Asks DoJ To Launch Criminal Investigation Of Chamber’s Funding (huffingtonpost.com)
- We Are Global Citizens United Now, Under the US Chamber of Commerce (crooksandliars.com)
This is a small triumph for the Republicans who, led this time by John McCain, filibustered the Defense Bill coming up for debate, and prevented the 60 votes (all Dems and Independents plus 1 Republican) needed by Harry Reid from happening.
Senate Majority Leader Reid needed those 60 votes to overcome Republicans led by McCain, but because he had attached debate on the DREAM Act and a repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell as amendments he was stomped. Centrist Republican senators like Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine were considered crucial to this effort — but they were unwilling to cross the aisle during today’s vote.
So this means that, for now, the basic Defense Bill, which funds the military (who needs it to just keep operating) is not on the floor. I’m watching Senator Barbara Boxer on C-Span2 right now who is complaining about the inability to debate either the DADT amendment or the Dream Act Amendment. One point she make is that the only other countries in the world that don’t allow open gays in the military are Iran, Turkey, Cuba, North Korea, Egypt and a few others… Our friends, England, Germany, Austria, Canada, France and many more, allow open gay military service. Get the idea.
The ED Show summed it up pretty well last February:
The DREAM act, which allows children who are not citizens but were brought into their country by parents, can get a leading run to citizenship… and, also, to populate our military with thousands of people currently not allowed in… has been trying to get on the agenda for the last 10 years. This is something that really should be brought back up on the agenda again and again until it is passed.
Meanwhile, we are seeing this Congress’ major problem… the inability to get things done when Senators… and that is Republican Senators… Filibuster EVERYTHING, rather than letting majority rule.
- Senate repeal of ban on gays in military falters (msnbc.msn.com)
- ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ Repeal Prospects Look Dim Before Senate Vote (towleroad.com)
- Dems Likely to Lose Key GOP Vote on ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ (politics.blogs.foxnews.com)
- Collins Equates Senate Debate With ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ Policy (huffingtonpost.com)
- ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ Becomes Hot Button Election-Year Issue (huffingtonpost.com)
- DADT Repeal Faces Likely GOP Filibuster (outsidethebeltway.com)