According to the Weather Bureau it’s going to get even hotter by Wednesday and we’ll all feel like hot dogs on a grill. The experts who have reported on the Weather Channel that this long stretch of heat is a sure sign of the existence of global warming, especially given the huge spread of the continent that it covers.
Those who disagree with that assumption… and for some reason the disagreement is political, which I have never understood… are saying “well, it’s summer,” but this contradicts years of summers before. As summer has just begun, I can’t wait to see what August, usually our really hot month, is like.
So stay inside with the AC on and keep as cool as you can. That’s what I’m doing.
- Global Warming and The Garfield Assassination (themoderatevoice.com)
- Extreme weather shows global warming fingerprints (summitcountyvoice.com)
- NBC Meteorologist On Record Heat Wave: “If We Did Not Have Global Warming, We Wouldn’t See This.” (thinkprogress.org)
- Daren Jonescu: Prediction: Global Warming Will Cause Everything (junkscience.com)
… for my son’s wedding in August. I haven’t bought a new suit in 30 years, so this is an occasion I’m dreading.
Anyway, Elly and I are of to Men’s Wearhouse (or as I refer to their Big and Tall section the Fat Man Shop) where I saw a suit advertised that I can live with, given my outrageous size. They also advertise 2 for 1, although what I am going to do with two fat man suits is beyond me. If I was an insurance agent or a stock broker or something, I could see it… but I’m a retired computer and theatre guy with a couple of local radio shows where no one sees me. Suits are not a big deal.
Buddy’s wedding, however, is another story and there are requirements that must be met, so I expect to come back with receipts for two suits which will be being hemmed and altered. Next step is shoes, shirts and a tie (something other than the couple of old ties I found in my closet.)
Pictures of me in this stuff to come.
- 2 Retail Stocks Hit 52-Week Highs: MW, DSG (thestreet.com)
Found this info on the amount of time Congressfolk actually work in Politicus.USA:
House Republicans are scheduled to work even less in 2012. The House GOP has given themselves a schedule for next year that will have them in session for just 108 days. They will only be in session for six days in January, eight days in April, and three days in August. The House will be in session for exactly 13 days between September 10 and the 2012 election. With an average salary of $174,000,each member of the House will earn $1,611.11 for each day that they are in session.
- House GOP to Americans looking for jobs: ‘Gone Fishing. You’re on your own.’ (yubanet.com)
- House Democrats say GOP wants too many days off – The Associated Press (news.google.com)
- House Democrats say GOP wants too many days off (seattletimes.nwsource.com)