It’s hard to know what to say… Andrew Breitbart, enemy of most of us who support Obama and the Rational Left, is dead at 43.
From the LA Times:
The conservative commentator Andrew Breitbart, the polarizing website publisher who once helped edit the Drudge Report and found his way to tea-party stardom in recent years and exposed the story of the sexually explicit tweets of Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.), suddenly collapsed near his Westwood home early Thursday morning and died. He was 43.
“He was walking near the house somewhere…. He was taken by paramedics to UCLA and they couldn’t revive him,” said Bean, who spoke with his daughter, Susannah Bean Breitbart, about what happened.
The Los Angeles County coroner’s office confirmed it will investigate the case, given how young Breitbart was.
Breitbart was a Hollywood-hating, mainstream-media-loathing conservative, and shot to stardom with two stories in recent years: breaking the story over the sexually charged tweets by Weiner, a scandal that led to his resignation; and posting a video of Shirley Sherrod, a black employee of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, in which she appeared to make racially charged comments, leading to her firing and then a subsequent apology by the Obama administration when it was later revealed her comments were taken out of context.
This will certainly ease an element of the election situation this year.
It puts the thought in my head that maybe there IS a God. Or maybe Rush Limbaugh could go out and walk around his house, too.
Breitbart was no respecter of the maxim that one shouldn’t speak ill of the dead: After the death of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy in 2009, he spewed venom all over the liberal lion’s grave via Twitter, calling him a “special pile of human excrement,” a “villain” and other things we can’t reprint on a family website. So I don’t have any qualms about remembering Breitbart, who died suddenly Thursday at 43, as a closed-minded bully and blowhard who seemed to think he could win debates by shouting louder than his opponent rather than having a better argument, a casual liar who shamelessly destroyed reputations and an unfortunate new species of Internet parasite.
–Dan Turner, LA Times Staff
I guess agree. I just don’t feel bad.
A poem for the morning:
Republicans are funny folks
They like to laugh at racist jokes…
But make a joke about their guys
And they will tell you “It’s all lies.”
Perhaps the thing their humor lacks
are ways of getting votes from blacks.
When Obama impersonator Reggie Brown took the stage Saturday at the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans, the audience howled as he joked about how he only celebrates half of Black History Month and that his mother loved a black man, “but she was not a Kardashian.” They were practically rolling in the aisles at a bit about how presidents age in office, in which a stylish “before” photo of President Obama and the first lady was followed by an “after” photo of actors Redd Foxx and LaWanda Page playing Fred Sanford and Aunt Esther from Sanford and Son.
But when Brown started in on the 2012 Republican candidates — he said Newt Gingrich‘s campaign is dropping “like Anthony Weiner‘s pants in an AOL chat room,” and that Tim Pawlenty could turn to “Obamneycare” for the spinal transplant he needs — Brown got the hook and was walked off the stage by a party official.
– from The Root
A Leadership Conference… give me a break.
“I think in response to that direct question I should have been much more clear during the debate… I don’t think we can have a nominee that was involved in the development and construction of Obamacare and then continues to defend it and that was the question, I should have answered it directly and instead I stayed focused on Obama…I should have been more clear, I should have made the point that (Romney) was involved in developing it, he really laid the groundwork…
I don’t think you can prosecute the political case against President Obama if you are a co-conspirator in one of the main charges against the president, on the political level.”
- Tim Pawlenty Is Very Brave… On Twitter (oliverwillis.com)
- Tim Pawlenty’s New Hampshire Ally: Obama is a “Jungle Alien” (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Getting Muddy: Tim Pawlenty Attacks ‘ObamneyCare’ (chicagonow.com)
- Pawlenty Goes After Romney on Twitter (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Pawlenty Finally Throws the Punch – On Twitter (blogs.wsj.com)
- Pawlenty tries to spin debate fail with renewed attack on Romneycare (dailykos.com)
Asked what the White House thinks of the Weiner situation and whether or not it supports the Democratic leadership that wants the Congressman‘s resignation, Press Secretary Jay Carney said the following:
“We think it’s a distraction from the important business that this president needs to conduct and Congress need to conduct. Beyond that, I don’t have any comment.”
Carney also said that Weiner’s activity was inappropriate. On the news tonight (an NBC leap into the front line), President Obama said Weiner should resign.
- White House Weighs In On Weinergate: ‘A Distraction,’ Behavior And Dishonesty ‘Inappropriate’ (mediaite.com)
- “The president feels, we feel at the White House, this is a distraction, as Congressman Weiner has…” (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Carney weighs in on Weiner (whitehouse.blogs.cnn.com)
- Carney on a scandal – W.H. won’t say Weiner must go (politico.com)
- White House calls Weiner a ‘distraction’ (nydailynews.com)
- White House: Weiner scandal is a ‘distraction’ (cnn.com)
“Congressman Weiner departed this morning to seek professional treatment to focus on becoming a better husband and healthier person. In light of that, he will request a short leave of absence from the House of Representatives so that he can get evaluated and map out a course of treatment to make himself well.”
Weiner spokeswoman, Risa Heller
What clinic treats Twitter stupidity?
- Anthony Weiner Requests Leave of Absence to Seek Treatment (blippitt.com)
- Weiner to seek professional treatment, requests temporary leave of absence from the House (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Breaking: Rep. Weiner Asks For ‘Leave of Absence’ (inquisitr.com)
- Anthony Weiner Takes Leave of Absence from Congress, Seeks Professional Help (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Weiner says he’ll get help, take leave from Congress (ctv.ca)
- Weiner Heads To Rehab As Pelosi, Party Leaders Call On Him To Resign (annem040359.wordpress.com)
I have said that I would lay off on the Anthony Weiner brouhaha, but it doesn’t seem to go away… and now some major Democrats are joining virtually all Republicans in saying Weiner should resign his post. I expect that from Republicans… even though they didn’t express the same kinds of thoughts when their officeholders were revealed to have sexual affairs in the past year or so (I’m thinking especially of creeps like Eric Cantor who, it would seem, thinks the main fault with Weiner is that he is a Democrat.
His constituency, on the other hand, as polled doesn’t seem to want the resignation as much as his colleagues. The last figures on the news last night put Keep Weiner at 50% and Dump Weiner at 28% with the remaining 22% undecided. In interviews on the street in Brooklyn and Queens, television reporters found many who said they would vote for Weiner again.
Of the 500 voters surveyed, 61 percent say Weiner’s behavior was unethical, but not illegal. Only Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz shared kind words for Weiner with NY1 on Wednesday, but he also expressed some relief that he was not in the same predicament.
However, 56 percent of those polled say he should not run for City Hall. Weiner was thought to be a front runner for mayor before the scandal broke.
So far, there has been no comment from Weiner’s wife, Huma Abedin, who is on a European tour with her boss, Hillary Clinton. It is thought that she is the last judgement on the situation and that Weiner would resign if she wanted him to. What kind of advice do you think she is getting from Hillary, who stood behind her husband who didn’t resign during the scandal that almost brought him down?
In my opinion, what he did was both extremely stupid and amazingly juvenile. It was not, however, a crime. It was more of an embarassment, and, as such has no legal grounds for his leaving office. There is the social stigma that this affair puts on Weiner’s character which some would find insufferable… but Weiner seems ready to, as they say, stick it out. It is highly doybtful that he will be able to run for Mayor of NYC in 2013 as he had intended.
So I think he should stay in and see if he can get reelected in 2012. I think his constituents should decide his future and his republican colleagues should support him (unless they are as personally clean as they claim.)
One big result of the Weiner scandal is the drop in use of Twitter by the Congressman’s colleagues. Elected officials tweeted about 28 percent less the week of May 30 to June 3 than the previous week, according to a study by TweetCongress.
- Pressure Builds On Weiner To Resign As New Photo Surfaces On Internet (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- The Long and the Short of the Strange Case of Anthony Weiner (irondice.wordpress.com)
- Rep. Weiner’s Eventful Day (blogs.wsj.com)
- Huma Abedin, The Primary Reason Anthony Weiner Is An Idiot (buzzfeed.com)
- I Can’t Believe Anthony Weiner Will Keep His Job (lukeford.net)
- #WeinerGate : Huma Abedin PREGNANT (dave-lucas.blogspot.com)
- Huma Abedin, Wife of Anthony Weiner: Pregnant! (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Ignant Column – Pressure ramps up on Anthony Weiner to resign – Source: The Washington Post (curmilus.wordpress.com)
- Hell No, He Won’t Go! (powerlineblog.com)
- Anthony Weiner Should NOT Resign (inquisitr.com)
- The Honorable Anthony Weiner (geneveith.com)
- How Anthony Weiner can recover from scandal (cbsnews.com)
- Top Democratic Rep Calls For Anthony Weiner’s Resignation (alternet.org)
- Eliot Spitzer Talks Anthony Weiner Scandal (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Weiner: I’m not quitting (politico.com)
I regret to say that Anthony Weiner, a man I have defended to those I discuss politics with… and on this blog, admitted today that he had sent the photo of himself in his underwear via twitter to a woman he didn’t know, and that, furthermore he had lied about it. Apparently he had done this with aroud half a dozen women over the last three years.
This quote from his press conference this afternoon:
“I have made terrible mistakes that have hurt the people I care about the most and I’m deeply sorry. I have not been honest with myself, my family, my constituents, my friends and supporters and the media.”
Weiner, who just about came to tears apologizing to his wife and family in the press conference, also stated that he would not resign.
- Anthony Weiner: I HAVE MADE TERRIBLE MISTAKES BUT I AM NOT RESIGNING (thenewspundit.com)
- Rep. Anthony Weiner Admits ‘Yes I Tweeted My Weiner’ (PHOTOS & VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Rep. Anthony Weiner admits to sending lewed photo – USA Today (news.google.com)
- Anthony Weiner Admits to Sending Crotch Shot [Video] (gawker.com)
- Anthony Weiner Schedules Press Conference to Deal with Latest Accusations (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Weiner in Hot Water (news.icanhascheezburger.com)
- Insert Weiner Joke Here (macleans.ca)
- Anthony Weiner comes clean on explicit photo (cbsnews.com)
Re: The Anthony Weiner situation:
(btw… I don’t think it was Weiner who sent this photo to the student. I’d set my sights on Breitbart.)
(4:15 p.m.): In a statement issued to the media, Weiner confirmed that his staff had been sent a suspicious substance, and noted that his Kew Gardens office will remain closed until law enforcement officials finish their investigation:
Earlier today an envelope containing white powder and a threatening letter was delivered to my community office in Kew Gardens. The NYPD was immediately alerted and have responded appropriately by sending a Haz-Mat team. Any questions related to their response should be directed to the NYPD. My first priority is the safety of my staff and neighbors, and the authorities are currently taking steps to investigate and resolve the situation.
JON STEWART: “My question to you is this. Is he a dick?”
REP. ANTHONY WEINER: “Yes, Jon.”
And the audience exploded with cheers and applause,
I like it when politicians do simple, honest answers.
(Its a semi-known and entirely weird fact that, after college, New York congressman Anthony Weiner and Daily Show host Jon Stewart shared an apartment in Soho. Well, technically, Stewart and Weiner’s girlfriend shared an apartment, and Weiner was the guy who was there all the time, walking around in his boxers and drinking the last of the milk.
— Daily Intel )