Since I’ve been taking a look at unions today, it occurs to me that I have been a member of two unions back in my New York past.
As a theatre worker in the early 70s, I had experience as a member of AEA (Actors Equity Association) and LOBTET (the League of Off Broadway Theatre Employees and Technicians.) LOBTET was eaten up by Equity after a couple of years and does not exist anymore.
As an Equity member (which I had to join as a professional stage manager), I was involved in the Off Broadway strike in 1970 or 71. Equity was protesting the fact that actors in off-Broadway productions were often paid very little or nothing at all, but took jobs so that they might be seen by critics or casting direc tors or Broadway producers.
I had to picket the Theatre De Lys (now the Lucille Lortel Theatre) one night. I walked back and forth with my
After a while I was joined by another Equity member, and this was one of the most interesting occurences in my theatre career. The other picketer was Shelley Winters!
Shelley and I picketed for about two hours, carrying on a neat social conversation, until we decided that it was past what would have been curtain time and we quit. She got a cab and I walked down the block to the subway.
That’s my Union Story.
I don’t know if you read Margaret and Helen, but I do.
These two “friends for sixty years” bring their experience to bear on almost every contemporary situation… like Helen’s recent comment on Rick Santorum and his views on faith and sex:
He was in Texas this week talking about his faith… which always leads him to talk about abortion and gay marriage. I swear that man worries more about vaginas and who is sleeping with whom than any normal person should. I don’t think he is right in the head. He told his audience that his faith is a part of who he is and it will guide him in his presidency. Well good for him.
If you really, honestly want to reduce abortions in this country, the last
thing you want to do is vote for a Republican. If you want to reduce abortions start in your own home by educating your children. Teach your sons to respect women and arm your daughters with information about birth control. If you are so outraged by abortions that your only criteria for a presidential candidate is that he be obsessed with my uterus, then arm your daughters with all the information she needs to protect herself from all those sons who were raised by politicians in Texas and Virginia. And if you really care, make a donation to Planned Parenthood or this other organization called Annie’s List. My grandson says that if you “click” on the underlined words in the previous sentence it will take you to a place you can make a donation on the internet. It couldn’t be any easier than that.
… to which Margaret responds:
Clicking on those words and you can make a donation? How fancy. I hope they know what to do with yours and my checks when they arrive in the regular old mail. Don’t forget. Stamps have gone up to 45 cents dear. Why isn’t anyone outraged about that?
So, my dear ladies, keep up the good work. I find you inspiring.
- Maybe Margaret and Helen will join in (maureenholland.wordpress.com)
- Pink Razors – Margaret and Helen (crackerboy.us)
- Pink Razors (margaretandhelen.wordpress.com)
- Cheers and Jeers: Rum and Coke FRIDAY! (dailykos.com)
- Tell Republicans to Get Their Planned Parenthood Facts Straight (forcechange.com)
- Some People Listen To Rick Santorum And Hear The Voice Of God (crooksandliars.com)
- Conservative Group Releases Unintentionally Hilarious Vid, Claims Planned Parenthood Is Hooking Kids On Sex (clutchmagonline.com)
- The Margaret and Helen blog – anyone have definite proof that they’re real? (ask.metafilter.com)
- Now Rick Santorum is bragging about supporting funding for free birth control at Planned Parenthood (dailykos.com)
- American Life League Says Planned Parenthood Is Turning Kids Into ‘Sex Addicts’ (blisstree.com)
- Apparently Rush Limbaugh Also Thinks Planned Parenthood Is Just Trying To Get Your Kids Hooked On Sex (mediaite.com)