“America’s economic future, the quality of our health, and the quality of our environment depend on our ability to continue America’s proud legacy of discovery and invention. As winners of the Nobel Prizes in science, we are proud of our contribution to the extraordinary advances American science has made in recent years. But we’re deeply concerned that without leadership and continued commitment to scientific research the next generation of Americans will not make and benefit from future discoveries.
“President Obama understands the key role science has played in building a prosperous America, has delivered on his promise to renew our faith in science-based decision making and has championed investment in science and technology research that is the engine of our economy. He has built strong programs to educate young Americans in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics and programs to provide Americans the training they need to keep pace with a technology-driven economy.
“If you believe, as we do, that America’s future is bound in essential ways to science and innovation, we urge you to join us in working to ensure the reelection of President Obama.”
You can find the entire letter here. I would urge you to read it… and pass it around.
- Science and Medicine Nobel Prize Winners Support Obama (biotech.about.com)
- Sixty-Eight Nobel Prize Winners Endorse Obama (addictinginfo.org)
- Obama Picks Up Nobel Endorsements (news.sciencemag.org)
- Nobel Laureates Endorse Obama (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
I really want to think about those things Romney is lying about so that when they pop up in the debate I can yell at the television and wish him ill results in the election.
Did you see what those Repiglicans did?
It’s interesting, then, that Obama has the trust of Americans on most issues, but somehow Romney has labeled himself as the deficit reducer — given the things he seems to be representing, this is really impossible. I think people need to think this over and I hope Obama clarifies everything tonight.
Great lead for Obama on handling an unexpected crisis.
And look what Obama scored in government spending vs. the Repilicans’ great hero Reagan:
Ok… I have high expectations for Obama tonight. I hope you do, too.
- Viewpoints: In tonight’s debate, Obama needs to lay out his vision (sacbee.com)
- Precision planning in the countdown to the next debate (itv.com)
- For Tonight’s Debate, Use #youngcons on Twitter (owenstrachan.com)
- Candidates Try To Sway Undecided Voters In Tonight’s Town Hall Debate (philadelphia.cbslocal.com)
- Romney to get first question at debate (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
Normally, we engage in a searching conversation over what rational steps can be taken by individuals, communities and various levels of government to make the recurrence of a comparable tragedy less likely. Sometimes we act, sometimes we don’t, but at least we explore sensible solutions.
Unless the tragedy involves guns. Then our whole public reasoning process goes haywire.
Of course, this shows the evil effect the NRA has had on our society. Take the 1994 regulation that banned the sale of assault weapons. For ten years the NRA lobbied on the need for Americans to buy the guns they wanted and in 2004 they succeeded by not having the law renewed. This also included AUTOMATIC assault weapons… the ability for fast multi-bullet firing, just like what happened in the Colorado movie theatre. And remember, the gunman acquired his guns and 60,000 bullets legally.
I admire Dionne and think we should pay attention to him. The rest of his article is HERE.
- Sick at Heart (jordancornblog.wordpress.com)
- NRA Magazine Deletes Offensive Tweet Following Shooting in Colorado [Update] (politicker.com)
- Why gun lovers still fear Obama (politico.com)
- Aurora, Colorado Gun Deaths Happened Because Americans Refuse To Confront The NRA (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
Aside from Romney’s “friends, relatives and fellow Mormons,” Boehner said, most people will be motivated to vote for him in opposition to Obama.
“No,” Boehner said. “Listen, we’re just politicians. I wasn’t elected to play God. The American people probably aren’t going to fall in love with Mitt Romney. I’ll tell you this: 95 percent of the people that show up to vote in November are going to show up in that voting booth, and they are going to vote for or against Barack Obama.
So Republicans have a candidate they are not particularly fond of (and neither, for that matter are Democrats), but they are expected to vote for. One would think Boehner’s motivation in speaking for his party would be to get everyone to admire Romney and not stress that he appeals only to “friends, relatives and fellow Mormons.”
Combine that with what Bill Kristol said the other day and the puncturing of Romney’s lies about his business and gubernatorial background vis-a-vis job creation and cutting out unemployment (he succeeded at neither) and it’s not really clear if Republicans will work up the energy to come out to the polls.
- Republicans pin blame for flat jobs report on Obama (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- John Boehner: Americans ‘Do Not Want To Vote For A Loser’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Romney, Boehner Interrupted By Protesters (huffingtonpost.com)
- John Boehner Says He Hasn’t Talked to Mitt Romney (rollcall.com)
- Quote of the Day: Conservative Bill Kristol on Romney’s Campaign (themoderatevoice.com)
- Boehner pushes repeal, wants health law ‘ripped out by its roots’ (thehill.com)
- Romney and Boehner to campaign together in Ohio (firstread.msnbc.msn.com)
- Bill O’Reilly Mocks John Boehner On Health Care (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
Mitt Romney: The Economic Guru Who Specializes In Killing Jobs
(here’s a snip, but go read the whole article HERE.)
Romney has yet to offer any solutions to help the American people who are struggling because of Bush-era policies Willard promises to implement if he is elected president. One might be inclined to say Romney is a fool for promoting Bush’s failed economic policy that sent Americans into unemployment lines and nearly crashed the economy, but it is more that Romney could not care less about the American people. In fact, Willard has made it clear that he intends on creating hardship for the poor, elderly, Veterans, gays, women, and the middle class with his Draconian cuts to critical social safety nets, and the severity of his policies are only matched by his promise to eliminate unionized public sector jobs because they are earn more than $19,000 annually.
If Americans really want to know what a Romney presidency will look like, then look at his real field of expertise as a vulture capitalist. He earned millions shuttering businesses, relocating companies overseas, and eliminating jobs to increase profits for himself and Bain Capital, and although it worked out well for the rich, it was devastating to American workers who lost their jobs, retirement, healthcare, and their homes.
Willard Romney’s focus is attacking President Obama for telling the American people the truth about the economy, and running away from his area of expertise which is creating wealth for a privileged few while eliminating jobs. It is interesting that President Obama does not tout himself as an acclaimed economist like Romney, but his policies saved America’s economy. There is a reason Romney wants to be president and it has nothing to do with helping the American people or growing the economy, and he is using his expertise as a liar to convince voters that eliminating police and firefighter jobs, giving more tax cuts to the wealthy, and portraying the government as destructive is a sound economic policy.
The only thing voters need to know about Romney is that he is not an economic guru. He is a wealthy investor who earned millions killing jobs, bankrupting companies, and shipping businesses overseas that qualifies him to be a vulture capitalist, but not the president.
So many people haven’t learned this yet. It is really depressing to think about it. Unfortunately, he not only doesn’t seem to know the economic implications of his statements, he certainly does know how to lie about them.
Romney seems to be taking the voters of this great nation for total fools. The facts are out there, and they are not pretty. Romney is a purebred vulture capitalist, the kind of multi-millionaire that snaps up family businesses and solid companies just to shut them down, kill good-paying jobs, and get a fat write-off to pad his own bottom line. His “business experience” is the kind of experience that America cannot afford to have in the White House. And the only instance where Mitt took the reins of government… ie: the State of Massachusetts… and tried his hand at “job creation,” he failed miserably.
Romney cannot be allowed to run away from the fact that he was literally the worst “job creator” in the nation over his four years in office.
- Willard Romney’s Lies of the Week (theobamacrat.com)
- Willard Romney’s Lies of the Week (3chicspolitico.com)
- The Reason Why Bain is important. (3chicspolitico.com)
- Right Wing Uses Pre-Rally Pictures To Claim Obama Spoke To Empty Seats (alan.com)
- Willard Romney, Whiner (Cont’d.) (esquire.com)
- Romney: We Don’t Need More Firefighters, Police Officers Or Teachers (alan.com)
- 3 things Romney needs to get Right, and so far he only has 1 of them. (whitehouse12.com)
- Romney: “Is he really that out of touch?” (hotair.com)
- Mario Piperni Does Mittens (seniorsforademocraticsociety.wordpress.com)
- Obama starting week hitting Mitt on cops, fire fighters teachers remark (blogs.suntimes.com)
- Mitt Romney’s Sleazy Support of Ted Nugent Reveals His True Moral Character (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
You want to end this thing? Send every proponent who thought or thinks this American Military/Political/Business crusade justifiable; every Congress person who voted for this travesty along with their entire family; every Right Wingunt; every Pseudo-patriotic NASCAR sucking holier-than-thou Evangelical Right Wingunt Mother’s son and daughter; every Ted Nugent–Victoria Jackson–Patricia Heaton–Kelsey Grammer–Megyn Kelly-Money grubbing Rush Hudson Limbaugh-Bill O’Reilly-Glen Beck cocksucking bird brained “Let’s you and him fight, but not me” advocate; every unemployed Joe the Plumber who salutes the flag but hates anything non white; every media owner, media personality and political hack; every pajama-clad envelope stuffing/bake sale College Republican Chickenhawk; every money-loving bishop, priest, pastor, reverend who intentionally misinterpret and mouth beliefs different from a true Xtian gawd’s will (and any of their following sheep who thinks their religious leaders saints); every Fatherland Security Employee; every CEO, investor and banker’s child…send them all over there right now with the same equipment and unprepared training assholes like Rumsfeld, Powell, Bush etc. and now Obama thought and still think was and is acceptable…send them all over there – to Democratize and Americanize those heathens; to convert those infidels to American Business Dogma; to allow Americans their inalienable ability to suck all the oil they can suck; to make America safe for rapists, thieves and especially for increased business profits. While we’re at it send their aged, infirmed and invalid, handicapped or otherwise physically and/or mentally challenged parents as well.I’d give it two days! They’ll all be home!
- Was it the Force of George Bush’s Ego that Led to NATION BUILDING in AFGHANISTAN? (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Afghanistan’s Haditha: An Atrocity to End the War (alhittin.com)
- Fury Grows Over Afghan Killings (atwar.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Afghanistan: ‘Several drunk troops behind bloodbath, laughed on shooting-spree, burned corpses’ (redantliberationarmy.wordpress.com)
- Taliban Promise Revenge for Civilian Murders in Afghanistan (wrc559.com)
- Hundreds protest in Afghanistan over shooting of civilians (cnn.com)
Until last night, I knew nothing about them… but as I attended the F.A.R.M. program (Food Art Revolution Media) last night it was one of the topics that Melinda and Dan Hemmelgarn discussed last night.
These laws currently exist in 13 states and do things like banning photographers from taking pictures of food processing plants, or writing articles protesting farms that spray their crops with Monsanto poisons, or just discussing in the public press (and no doubt in blogs like this one) the disadvantages of non-organic farming.
The food disparagement movement has major corporate support (Monsanto, Dow, Buckeye Eggs and others) and haul people into court with their heavy economic advantage if the smallest criticism is raised. This has been going on since the 1990’s (a lot of it came out because of films like “Food, Inc.” or the works of Michael Moore.)
to raise safety and health concerns about the foods we eat, such as the levels of mercury in our fish or the levels of pesticides in imported foods. State laws that permit lawsuits against those who question the safety of foods can have a chilling effect on public health discourse. That is not the American way –healthy debate on issues of public concern is how this country does business.
The FoodSpeak Coalition highlights the chilling effect that these laws have on the exercise of free speech. Defamation laws should not intimidate citizens and the press who want to speak out about food safety.
Americans in all states must be allowed to openly debate issues of public health.
I spoke with a woman at the meeting last night whose 5-year work on a book concerning the dangers of chemical spraying on US Agriculture has been filed away indefinitely because she is afraid of lawsuit under food disparagement laws… and West Virginia doesn’t even have such laws. States like Iowa and Florida are affecting the entire country.
- FDA moves to Govern Global Food Laws (yourdaddy.net)
- Food Fight: Farmers Unite Against Monsanto (bigthink.com)
- Organic farmers file suit to protect themselves from Monsanto’s aggressive practices. (isiria.wordpress.com)
- Organic Farmers Unite Against Monsanto In Battle For Future of Food (singularityhub.com)
- GMO Foods and The Consumer (socyberty.com)
- Recipe for Food Safety (time.com)
- Monsanto Will Soon Be Allowed To Police Itself (fastcompany.com)
- Speak out on Monsanto… Tell the President… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Alfalfa a key battleground in organic farming war (theglobeandmail.com)
- How to identify Genetically Modified foods at Whole Foods… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Boehner: Obama born in U.S., but OK to think otherwise (ctv.ca)
- Boehner says facts show Obama a Christian citizen (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Speaker Boehner: “It’s Not My Job To Tell” Americans That Obama Is Not A Muslim (mediaite.com)
- John Boehner Claims Spending Cuts Will Create Jobs (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Boehner sees wide-open field for GOP in 2012 (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- John Boehner’s Name Makes Him Inevitable Candidate For Next Sex Scandal (crushable.com)
There were too many good ones this week and I had too much time on my hands reviewing them, So here are my favorite four:
Mike Luckovich in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
Yes, it has been a great Christmas for lobbyists… and we once thought that with Obama they’d get a lump of coal in their stocking!
– and –
Tony Auth in the Philadelphia Inquirer:
Isn’t Scrooge supposed to learn that he has been wrong?
= and –
Tom Toles in the Washington Post:
– and –
Clay Bennett, Chattanooga Times Free Press:
Belief is a strange thing…
“A common mistake that people make when
trying to design something completely foolproof is
to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
– Douglas Adams
As I see whole masses of people who have very little being used by people who have a great deal… ie: the way the Insurance Industry has gotten the right-wing poor to support a Health Care setup that will make them poorer… the words of the late Douglas Adams become a striking revelation.