“All we have to do is replace Obama. … We are not auditioning for fearless leader. We don’t need a president to tell us in what direction to go. We know what direction to go. We want the Ryan budget. … We just need a president to sign this stuff. We don’t need someone to think it up or design it. The leadership now for the modern conservative movement for the next 20 years will be coming out of the House and the Senate.—
Pick a Republican with enough working digits to handle a pen to become president of the United States. This is a change for Republicans: the House and Senate doing the work with the president signing bills. His job is to be captain of the team, to sign the legislation that has already been prepared.”
– Grover Norquist
So, who runs the Republican Party anyway? This guy holds no office and doesn’t speak at the convention. So why is he so important. Why do all these dumbos sign his goddam anti-tax pledge?
That I have no answer for. I wonder if Romney does.
- Grover Norquist: Fear of Tax Increase Will Turn Vote to Romney (usnews.com)
- Grover Norquist: Killing the American Government with a smile on his face (freakoutnation.com)
- Grover Norquist Calls George H.W. Bush A Liar (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Norquist says Ryan would leave ‘large footprint’ in Romney administration (thehill.com)
- GOP Congress Members Have Private Audience with Pope Grover, Seek His Blessing (crooksandliars.com)
- George H.W. Bush: “Who the Hell Is Grover Norquist?” (crooksandliars.com)
- Norquist Meets With GOP To Discuss ‘Extremely Helpful’ Pledge (huffingtonpost.com)
- Ryan Would Play ‘Similar’ Role to Cheney, Norquist Says – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
Two quotes for the afternoon:
“I think there is room for revenues, but I think there clearly is a limit to the amount of revenues that are available.”
“The comment was significant because Boehner and other Republican leaders have repeatedly insisted that tax increases are off the table, and most Republicans in the House and Senate have signed a “taxpayer protection pledge” vowing not to raise taxes.
America” when he was asked about Norquist today. Later in the day, Boehner revised his comments.”
- John Boehner on Grover Norquist: He’s just some ‘random person’ (dailykos.com)
- Boehner calls anti-tax activist ‘random person’ (sfgate.com)
- Debt Plan Will Contain New Tax Revenues: Boehner (newser.com)
- Boehner Calls Grover Norquist Some Random Person; Norquist Agrees (blogs.wsj.com)
- Alan Simpson Takes on Grover Norquist, AARP (blogs.wsj.com)
- Boehner: Grover Who?! (mediaite.com)