Tomorrow and Sunday is the reenactment of the Battle of Antietam over the river from us in Sharpsburg. It is the 150th anniversary of the battle and this is drawing reenactors from all over the country, judging by the large amount of out-of-state license plates showing up here and over in Washington County.
Elly and I are going over to her friend Joan’s at some point to sit in front of her house on Main St. and watch the downtown activities.
Getting from our place to Hagerstown is going to be a mess tomorrow, since many of the main roads will be closed around the Battlefield National Park. Anyone trying to get from Shepherdstown to Hagerstown is advised to go a little out of your way and take Interstate 81.
- Park Service kicks off Antietam anniversary events (miamiherald.com)
- Park Service kicks off Antietam anniversary events (kansascity.com)
- Md. Scouts Sell Tickets For Antietam Re-Enactment (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- Antietam battle so big, there are 2 re-enactments (ktvb.com)
- PA Civil War Road Show to make special appearance in Maryland (whptv.com)
- Antietam battle so big, there are 2 re-enactments (heraldonline.com)
Some historians will tell you that Mother’s day is traceable back to pre-Judeo/Christian goddess worship. One of the earliest historical records of a society celebrating a Mother deity can be found among the ancient Egyptians, who held an annual festival to honor the goddess Isis, who was commonly regarded as the Mother of the pharaohs.
The first official Mother’s Day was then held on May 10, 1908 in Grafton West Virginia, after a campaign by Anna M. Jarvis. It would take a few more years of political action and Jarvis working full time to have federal legislation pass, but in 1914 President Woodrow Wilson signed the official National Observance of Mothers Day for the Second Sunday in May.
- International Mother’s Day (interflora.co.uk)
- Anna Jarvis, The Woman Who Launched Mother’s Day (morduin5150.wordpress.com)
- All About Mothers Day (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Mother’s Day Began as A Plea for Peace: May All Mothers Deployed and All Mothers on the Homefront Be Blessed Always (themoderatevoice.com)