Who? What? Ted Kaczynski? And other billboards with Charles Manson and Fidel Castro. Coming soon are billboards featuring Osama bin Laden and James J. Lee (who took hostages inside the headquarters of the Discovery Channel in 2010).
What nutjobs are responsible for this terrific promotional campaign showing us how science proves there is no Global Warming? Why, The Heartland Institute, a 28-year-old organization whose mission is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems.
And, of course, to create the kind of stimulating, educational pieces like these billboards.
Heartland also produces books and brochures with titles like Climate Change Weekly: New York Times Misrepresents Global Warming Surveys and EPA Official Says Goal Is to ‘Crucify’ Oil and Natural Gas Companies, all of which seem to be written by noted scientist James M. Taylor, J.D. Senior Fellow and Managing Editor, Environment and Climate News. (J.D. is that a scientific degree or a law degree?) Their Science Director is Dr. Jay Lehr, author of recent articles like Nuclear Fears Trumping Reality in Wake of Fukushima and An Open Letter to the Oil and Gas Industry: The Ethical Case for Fracking. Hmmm, support of Nuclear Industry and Hydrofracturing (Fracking).
Needless to say, given their support of corporations over individual citizens, my guess is that they will be advising Romney and the Republicans.
- These Insane Billboards Use The Unabomber And Osama Bin Laden As Arguments Against Global Warming (businessinsider.com)
- Will Heartland Institute’s Corporate Funders Tacitly Endorse Comparing Climate Realists to bin Laden and the Unabomber? (desmogblog.com)
- Heartland Institute New Ad Campaign Associates Climate Science Advocates With Serial Killers (bradblog.com)
- Heartland Institute Compares Climate Science Believers And Reporters To Mass ‘Murderers And Madmen’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Green Blog: A New Tactic in the Climate Wars (green.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Heartland Billboards on Climate Change. The Dangerous Ignorance of Ideology (bigthink.com)
- Heartland Institute: ‘Not All Global Warming Alarmists Are Murderers’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Heartland Institute launches campaign comparing climate change ‘believers’ to murderers, tyrants (dailykos.com)
Thanks to Taegan Goddard’s Political Wire:
“You heard it here first: Mitt Romney is going to select Rob Portman, the junior senator from Ohio, to be his running mate. I have no insight into how Romney will make this decision. But I had a front-row seat at what I believe was the best veep choice of my lifetime...
…I’m betting that Romney’s choice will reflect who he is: a bloodless technocrat who wants to double down on trickle down.”
Interesting. Anyone giving odds? Not a woman, not a Hispanic.
In his “best veep choice of a lifetime” statement, Begala was, of course, referring to Al Gore. I wonder if, looking back at it, I agree with him…but he has a point.
…then you missed Keith Olbermann talking about his breakup with Current.
I know Keith can come across as somewhat pompous, but I an’t tell you how much I miss tuning in to his show. I was very upset when he left MSNBC and was fortunate enough to have a cable contract that included Current (which I now no longer need)… but now there is no Keith at 8 PM.
Here’s the interview with Keith from last night:
Yeah, I know. Keith often seems full of himself… but I don’t think any conservative host would ever take responsibility for a show’s failure, money or not. And I hope the “nice Judge” takes Keith’s side in court…I really think he has been screwed.
Finally, I don’t know where he will end up next, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be there.
- Keith Olbermann to David Letterman: I Screwed Up Big Time! (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Keith Olbermann Tells David Letterman He’s a 10-Million-Dollar Chandelier That Didn’t Fit the House: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Keith Olbermann fired again (leftperspectives.com)
- Keith Olbermann Reacts to Firing, Being Replaced By Eliot Spitzer (inquisitr.com)
- This is turning out to be a really bad day… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Olbermann Going On David Letterman (lezgetreal.com)
From the LA Times:A source familiar with the situation said Olbermann was fired Thursday morning, after managers grew increasingly frustrated with his absenteeism and other work habits. The network expects litigation over the ouster.—After barely a year, Current TV has sacked fiery host Keith Olbermann.In a statement Friday afternoon, former Vice President Al Gore and legal entrepreneur Joel Hyatt, who cofounded the upstart cable network, took an extraordinary swipe at their outspoken host, who endured rocky tenures with a series of previous network employers, including MSNBC and ESPN. “Countdown,” Olbermann’s show, will evidently be canceled immediately.
They’ve replaced Keith with former New York Gov. Eliot M. Spitzer, whose CNN talk show failed to catch on. I watched the first 10 minutes and realized why I liked watching Keith… then I turned on a rerun of Monk.
Who is joining hands with all the truly religious in America by following the last three or four decades of political history?
Look at every race that’s been run over the past forty, thirty years, and you will see a divide between George Bush and Al Gore, between George Bush and John Kerry, between John McCain and Barack Obama, between people who go to church and people who don’t … We are the party that believe in values.
- Rick Santorum’s Republican math (dailykos.com)
- Rick Santorum: All For Me, Not For Thee Or Charity (crooksandliars.com)
- Rick Santorum Makes the Bizarre Promise to Never Speak the Name of Any Former President [Rick Santorum] (jezebel.com)
- Look At Rick Santorum’s Inbox (huffingtonpost.com)
- 31 Rick Santorum Quotes That Prove He Would Be A Destructive President | Addicting Info (tribuneofthepeople.com)
Tomorrow, people from around the world will join hands to create 24 Hours of Reality. I hope you’ll join us. Together, we’re going to focus the world’s attention on the scope, scale and impact of the climate crisis.
24 Hours of Reality begins at 7 p.m. Central Time on Wednesday, September 14. Over the course of the day, there will be 24 presentations across 24 time zones in 13 languages. I’ll be presenting in the final hour at 7 p.m. Eastern Time.
Together, we’re going to take a stand against the “new normal.” We’re going to remove any doubt stirred up by deniers.
Together, we’re going to catalyze urgency around an issue that impacts every one of us.
Find a presentation in your language or your part of the world and use our tool to schedule a reminder email. You’ll receive 15 minutes before the event.
Make sure you’re a part of this event. Make time. Tell your friends and followers you’re participating and encourage them to join you. At the bottom of this email, you’ll find some easy links to help you spread the word.
I’m truly excited for tomorrow and I hope you are, too.
The leaders of the top environmental groups in the country, the Republican Governor of Nebraska, and millions of people around the country — including hundreds of people who have bravely participated in civil disobedience at the White House — all agree on one thing: President Obama should block a planned pipeline from the tar sands of Alberta to the Gulf of Mexico.
The tar sands are the dirtiest source of fuel on the planet. As I wrote in Our Choice two years ago, gasoline made from the tar sands gives a Toyota Prius the same impact on climate as a Hummer using gasoline made from oil. This pipeline would be an enormous mistake. The answer to our climate, energy and economic challenges does not lie in burning more dirty fossil fuels — instead, we must continue to press for much more rapid development of renewable energy and energy efficient technologies and cuts in the pollution that causes global warming.
- The Tar Sands Sit-In: Something is Happening! (rabbibrant.com)
- Is the Keystone XL Pipeline Protest About Tar Sands or Politics? (treehugger.com)
- Daryl Hannah Arrested During Protest of Tar Sands Pipeline (abcnews.go.com)
- Why Won’t Clean Tech Community Stand Up Against Keystone Pipeline? (treehugger.com)
- Robert Naiman: Why I’m Protesting the Tar Sands Pipeline at the White House on Saturday (huffingtonpost.com)
- Key Republican announces opposition to tar sands pipeline (dailykos.com)
This is likely to draw all kinds of negative comments from the right (or even from the center) but the fact that Capitalism, which requires consistent growth… therefore always using more (and making more) income… has done two obvious things: it has made gigantic corporations which create a government all their own which does not often comply with our nationally passed laws; and Capitalism has also put all other economic concepts into a state of public damnation… even by those members of the public whose lives are destroyed by capitalistic growth.
To start with the major energy companies, builders of much of the Capitalist base, rewards those who plunder the natural environment by giving them an unsustainable material prosperity while removing natural benefits and beauty from the land we live on. This is justified by establishing the concept of the ‘free market’ which eliminates all but the most efficient enterprises. In fact, the efficiency is only financial – meaning that the ‘free market’ eliminates any that pursue goals other than maximizing
their profits. Nice guys finish last.
Even the Information Based Economy has been plundered by the capitalist system. By rewarding competition rather than cooperation, capitalism wastes an increasing amount of time, effort and resources, primarily because economic thought and institutions stem from an era of locally distributed goods that were laboriously handmade, usually with minimal set-up costs and large costs per unit. However, as the economy becomes increasingly virtual, capitalism is showing itself increasingly unsatisfactory… the traditional pricing system is still based on unit costs, which are a very poor reflection of the cost structure of information goods. In such circumstances, tremendous inefficiency is inevitable, yet the major software companies (Microsoft, Oracle, etc.) remain tied to the capitalist system.
So what are the alternatives that could replace unregulated Capitalism and give us a transition to an ongoing, non-growth system which would support all of us without destroying the environment… indeed, by an ongoing replacement of the environmental elements that have been lost?
If you start looking through the internet for competing economic theories you will find such titles as Altruism (A System to Reward Generosity, not Selfishness), Sustainability ( strategic management of economic, social, environmental and ethical performance), and the Transition Movement (one of the most promising ways of engaging people and communities to take the far-reaching actions that are required to mitigate the effects of peak oil, climate change and the economic crisis.) These solutions all have significant common denominators; they all seek to get out from under the energy structure which is causing global warming, they all define economics as a social program and work against problems such as greed and huge gaps between the wealthy and the lower classes, and they are all opposed to capitalism as a process.
You’ll notice I didn’t use terms like Socialism or Communism, which none of these theories subscribe to (although it will probably not be seen that way by the corporate right which will use such accusations to turn the middle class in on itself). None of them attack individual creativity… in fact they rely on it.
If this gives you something to think about, remember that there will be no opposition to the control by an aging Capitalist Economy unless the larger portion of our population… a good 90%… joins together for our own benefit. Read the sources, pass the information on to friends and family and urge them to do the same. Keep up a steady stream of communication with all elected representatives who are now bought and sold by capitalistic lobbyist… in a sense become lobbyists of the people.
- Global Capitalism (liamchingliu.wordpress.com)
- The Paradox of Capitalist Regulation (robertlindsay.wordpress.com)
- Capitalists continue to dance with the corpse of what was while things fall apart around them (iflizwerequeen.com)
- How capitalism should “really” be like. (newscci.wordpress.com)
Al Gore doesn’t think he’s done very much at all.
This from a piece called Climate of Denial in Rolling Stone:
“President Obama has never presented to the American people the magnitude of the climate crisis. He has not defended the science against the ongoing withering and dishonest attacks. Nor has he provided a presidential venue for the scientific community … to bring the reality of the science before the public.”
There is one other quote from later in this superb article (which shows one of the many reasons that Gore is our leading advocate of finding a solution to Climate Change) that sums up the poor support Obama has given to this life-affecting problem:
“… President Obama has thus far failed to use the bully pulpit to make the case for bold action on climate change. After successfully passing his green stimulus package, he did nothing to defend it when Congress decimated its funding. After the House passed cap and trade, he did little to make passage in the Senate a priority. Senate advocates — including one Republican — felt abandoned when the president made concessions to oil and coal companies without asking for anything in return. He has also called for a massive expansion of oil drilling in the United States, apparently in an effort to defuse criticism from those who argue speciously that “drill, baby, drill” is the answer to our growing dependence on foreign oil.“
So what can we do about the abandonment of Climate Change focus by the administration? Gore lays out five distinct things we can all do at the end of his essay. Since it runs over a page, I’ll just link to it HERE. It is worth your while to go in and read it.
Of course the most obvious of the five solutions is to put pressure on the President, or Representatives and our Senators, and everyone else involved at the Cabinet level. If we don’t push for the decisions that will, hopefully, start turning around the changes in our climate, then they won’t be made. As Gore says:
“Why do you think President Obama and Congress changed their game on “don’t ask, don’t tell?” It happened because enough Americans delivered exactly that tough message to candidates who wanted their votes.”
Can you imagine what a great President Al Gore would have made instead of…oh, what was the name of that jackass that left us in debt and at war? A Republican, wasn’t he?
- More Environmental Gore (powerlineblog.com)
- Obama has failed to lead on climate: Gore (windsorstar.com)
- Al Gore: Obama a Climate Disappointment (newser.com)
- Al Gore: Obama lacks ‘bold action’ on global warming (thegrio.com)
- Is NASA Climate-Change Guru’s Outside Income Affecting His Reports? (usapartisan.com)
- Gore: Obama has failed on global warming (cbsnews.com)
- Gore: Obama lacks `bold action’ on global warming (thenewstribune.com)
- Liveblogging Al Gore’s Games for Change Keynote [Live] (kotaku.com)
What’s even better is what he is going to call the new show: Countdown with Keith Olbermann.
As Keith said when making the announcement vis-a-vis the show name:
“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
I guess I’m going to have to catch MSNBC on the re-run.
- Keith Olbermann Heads to Current TV (tvsquad.com)
- Keith Olbermann to Current TV (dailykos.com)
- Keith Olbermann to Host Show on Current TV (cbsnews.com)
- Keith Olbermann: Joining Current TV? (joemygod.blogspot.com)
- Keith Olbermann’s Move to Current TV Offers New Beginnings for Both (tvsquad.com)
- Keith Olbermann joins Al Gore: The professional left strikes back! (thehill.com)
- Al Gore: Keith Olbermann Is Already Bringing New Viewers To Current (mediaite.com)
- Olbermann to become “chief news officer” of Al Gore’s cable channel (hotair.com)
- Keith Olbermann’s Move to Current TV Offers New Beginnings for Both (tvsquad.com)
Keith will be coming back to television and I can’t wait!
This from Huffington Post (You can go in and read more…):
- Keith Olbermann to Host New Nightly Primetime News and Commentary Show on Current TV (tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com)
- Keith Olbermann Announces Move to Current TV (towleroad.com)
- Keith Olbermann Signs on With Current TV (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- It’s official: Keith Olbermann to host nightly show on Current TV (dailykos.com)
- Olbermann Will Be Chief News Officer For Current TV (oliverwillis.com)
- Keith Olbermann is Headed to Current TV (laist.com)
… discussing LUMPY GRAVY.
This was in August of the year that I did my version of Lumpy Gravy at Northwestern on stage and later in Chicago at the Kinetic Playground.
- When Frank Zappa Met Jack Kirby (laughingsquid.com)
- Frank Zappa’s Yellow Shark, Roundhouse, review (telegraph.co.uk)
- Frank Zappa: Hammersmith Odeon 3-CD Set (jambase.com)