Category Archives: dumb candidates
Who does Romney get his debate advice from? Here’s the top 8 of his advisors:
Don’t Be Aggressive – “Relax and be prepared…You can be on offense without being offensive.” – Newt Gingrich
Focus On The Economy – “This really is about our economy. When he lays out a plan to fix our tax code to stop the overreach of regulations coming out of Washington, to get our debt problem under control, and to have a national energy policy, let me tell you what, the American people will respond.” – John Boehner
Don’t Focus On The Economy – “In debate, @MittRomney should ask Obama why autobiography states, ‘born in Kenya, raised in Indonesia.'” – Donald Trump
Go Big – “It makes you think how far ahead Romney would be if he were actually running a campaign. His unwillingness to go big, to go for the larger argument, is simply astonishing … Make the case. Go large.” – Charles Krauthammer
Don’t Go Big – “The challenge for Gov. Romney is to relate to people personally and provide some inspiration that their quality of life will improve,” – Linda DiVall, Top GOP Pollster
Keep It Simple – “I think he just has to lay out his plan and his vision … In the end this is going to be about Governor Romney over the next four or five weeks laying that vision out for folks.” – Chris Christie
Totally Change Up His Game – Romney should say, “I’m a nonideological guy running in an ideological age, and I’ve been pretending to be more of an ideologue than I really am. I’m a sophisticated guy running in a populist moment.” – David Brooks
- 8 Republicans Giving Mitt Romney Totally Contradictory Advice For The Debate (upworthy.com)
- VIDEO: Bill O’Reilly, Laura Ingraham Clash Over Mitt Romney’s Debate Strategy (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Charles Krauthammer Calls Out Romney Campaign’s Missed Opportunities On O’Reilly (mediaite.com)
- David Brooks: Mitt Romney Is ‘The Least Popular Candidate In History’ (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Fox News’ O’Reilly says Romney ‘can’t care about the press’ in debate (theblaze.com)
- How Mitt Romney is blowing it, according to Every Conservative Pundit | Benjy Sarlin (guardian.co.uk)
- Chris Christie: Mitt Romney Will Turn Race ‘Upside Down’ With Debate Performance (huffingtonpost.com)
So what were the results of the Republican refusal to work with their president? Take a look:
Remember this when Romney brings up the 8.1% unemployment rate… remember it when he says Obama has done nothing to even attempt to create jobs.
- Sen. Harry Reid to US: ‘Romney is not the face of Mormonism’ (ksl.com)
- Obama On Romney Welfare Accusations: ‘You Can’t Just Make Stuff Up’ (mbcalyn.com)
- Romney under pressure to score debate win against Obama – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Obama hits Romney on miners ad (politico.com)
- GOP reviews turning negative on Romney’s campaign (cnsnews.com)
- Obama launches new criticism of Romney and China (usnews.com)
Take a look at this article in Salon (click on title to read it.)
Sealy was America‘s No. 1 mattress brand — until Bain Capital got its hands on it.
As Josh Kosman says at the end of the article:
“I hope one of the debate moderators asks Romney how Bain helped Sealy.”
- Romney At Bain: We “Harvest” Companies (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Mitt Romney in 1985 Video: Goal of Bain Capital was to “Harvest” Companies for Profit (themoderatevoice.com)
- In ’85 video, Romney says Bain will ‘harvest’ companies for profit (news.yahoo.com)
- Tempur_Pedic to Acquire Sealy (urethaneblog.typepad.com)
- NEW ROMNEY VIDEO: In 1985, He Said Bain Would “Harvest” Companies for Profits (motherjones.com)
- Bain Workers To Slam ‘Romney Economy’ Until Election Day (huffingtonpost.com)
“I think my biggest concern obviously would just be for his mental well-being. I have all the confidence in the world in his ability, in his decisiveness, in his leadership skills, in his understanding of the economy. …So for me I think it would just be the emotional part of it.”
So… is Ann’s lack of confidence her husband’s ability to mentally handle the job as the President of the United States going to instill confidence in voters? Well, she still supported his run even though it might produce this emotional distress.
- Ann Romney: Biggest Concern For Mitt In White House Would Be His ‘Mental Well-Being’ (mediaite.com)
- Ann Romney: Mitt’s ‘mental well-being’ would be her biggest concern if elected (thehill.com)
- Ann Romney worries about Mitt’s ‘mental well-being’ if he wins election (rawstory.com)
- Ann Romney Expresses Concern About Mitt’s ‘Mental Well-Being’ if Elected President: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Ann Romney has one concern (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Video: Ann Romney worried about Mitt’s ‘mental well-being’ (nyaltnews.com)
Tony Auth of Newsworks.org:
Romney plans health care for the 47%…
– and –
Rob Rogers in the Pittsburg Post-Gazette:
Is Romney sure he wants to cut off about half the contributors?
– and –
Kevin Siers in the Charlotte Observer:
Isn’t Romney the king of mixed messages?
– and –
Nick Anderson in the Houston Chronicle:
At least he has Ryan to depend on…
– and –
David Horsey in the L.A. Times:
Now if he could avoid the bad dreams…
- Tony Auth’s farewell as staff editorial cartoonist for The Philadelphia Inquirer (nextlevelofnews.com)
- Eastwood and Romney (Cartoon) (themoderatevoice.com)
Mother Jones has obtained a video from 1985 in which Romney, describing Bain’s formation, showed how he viewed the firm’s mission. He explained that its goal was to identify potential and hidden value in companies, buy significant stakes in these businesses, and then “harvest them at a significant profit” within five to eight years.
The video was included in a CD-ROM created in 1998 to mark the 25th anniversary of Bain & Company, the consulting firm that gave birth to Bain Capital. Here is the full clip, as it appeared on that CD-ROM (the editing occurred within the original).
Mitt Romney seems to have been an ineffective Governor.
“It was almost like there was a moat system around the Romney castle. He had aides walking around with fake ear pieces in their ear, pretending that they were secret service agents. He put up a velvet rope in front of the office, made sure no one had access to the governor’s office whatsoever.”
So what kind of president would he make? At least he’d get real Secret Service agents which we would pay for.
- Romney’s Latest Reboot is to Pretend He’s Barack Obama (politicususa.com)
- MA Lawmakers Dish on Romney: ‘The Man Did. Not. Care.’ (crooksandliars.com)
- Mitt Romney then and now (ask.metafilter.com)
- MA Gov. Deval Patrick’s Rousing DNC Speech Slams Romney’s Record As Governor (mediaite.com)
Here is why we have to keep Romney and his buddies away from controlling America:
So liberals are Nazis and are going to gas Christians like Nazis did Jews in WWII era. Also, I don’t think Christians in America are a minority… hopefully only the ones who share Pat Robertson‘s obscene attack. And Robertson sees Romney as his buddy.
- Romney campaigner Pat Robertson tells man to beat his wife (americablog.com)
- Pat Robertson to humiliated hubby: ‘Well, you could become a Muslim and you could beat her’ (rawstory.com)
- Jews Must Be Converted | American Right Wing Nuts’ Hates Fest (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- FRCWC Says Shame on You Pat Robertson (peacemattershere.wordpress.com)
- Mitt Romney’s new economic message: Keep the word ‘God’ on coins (dailykos.com)
- Romney/Ryan 2012: Pallin’ around with terrorists (dailykos.com)
Romney is flip-flopping again.
His campaign is moving in a new direction on healthcare. Mitt Romney praised the health care law he signed as governor of Massachusetts – the model for Obama’s health plan. This has drawn swift and strong rebuke from .
In an interview with NBC News, Romney said:
“I got everybody in my state insured. One hundred percent of the kids in our state had health insurance. I don’t think there’s anything that shows more empathy and care about the people of this country than that kind of record.”
Of course Romney has attacked President Obama’s similar law, which extends insurance coverage to millions of uninsured people across the country – especially kids. Romney says he will repeal Obama’s law lock, stock and barrel, and replace it with vaguer reforms that would potentially leave more people uninsured by removing the ban on preexisting condition discrimination.
Democrats love it when Romney talks about Romneycare, using it to paint him as a hypocrite on health care reform. Conservatives, on the other hand, hate it. When a Romney staffer spoke positively about Romney’s health care law last month, conservative commentators said it “just might be the moment Romney lost the election.”
- Whatcha Talking About Willard? Massachusetts health care law is proof of empathy? Isnt that what You are Running Against Obama? This is getting Insane…Risking Conservative Ire, Romney Touts Romneycare. (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Mitt Romney Gives His Strongest Embrace Yet Of Romneycare, Which Could Ignite Conservative Fury (businessinsider.com)
- Mitt Cites Romneycare as Evidence of His ‘Empathy,’ Steps Up Obamacare Attack (nymag.com)
- Facepalm: Romney says Romneycare demonstrates his ’empathy and care’ (twitchy.com)
- And Mitt Romney Reverses Field Once Again on Health Care Reform… (delong.typepad.com)
- The New Romney Health Plan for the Poor… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Romney’s Advice To The Uninsured: Go To The ER (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- To show empathy for the middle class, Mitt Romney touts his socialist health care law (freakoutnation.com)
They rolled a clip of Romney and Ryan in Ohio. Romney introduces Ryan to the crowd and the crowd starts cheering spontaneously “Ryan, Ryan, Ryan!”
Wow! They crowd is fired up! This is the point, right? Right?
But then Romney has a major conflict. He looks at the crowd and at Ryan and then he admonishes the crowd with his hand held up in the HALT position, “Wait a sec, wait a sec! Romney, Ryan, Romney, Ryan, Romney, Ryan.” (Emphasis Romney)Does the crowd comply? No. The crowd falls silent. They are not chanting “Romney Ryan”. Awkward.
Romney seems to think the crowd has complied and says “There we go. That’s great.” Gesturing confusedly back to Ryan, he says, “Thank you.” Ryan fidgets in the background, sticks his hands in his pockets.
Romney is oblivious that he just ruined the one moment of energy they were going to get. Another self inflicted wound.
Want to see what it really looked like so you can experience the morning entertainment for yourself?
What fun! 🙂
- Watching Romney in Ohio, Joe Scarborough Covers Face and Mutters ‘Sweet Jesus’ (politicususa.com)
- Joe Scarborough On Deadly Romney Crowd Reaction: ‘Sweet Jesus!’ Romney A ‘Horrible Politician’ (mediaite.com)
- Scarborough Cries ‘Oh, Sweet Jesus!’ as Romney Fails to Lead Chant (crooksandliars.com)
- Joe Scarborough’s Reaction To Mitt Romney’s Uninspiring Attempt At Enthusiasm Is Priceless (businessinsider.com)
- Ed Schultz Says Mitt Romney Has ‘An Ego Bigger Than Asia’ (mediaite.com)
- Addressing ‘the stench’ (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- Mitt Romney fails Ohio audition for cheerleader-in-chief as chant fizzles (guardian.co.uk)
Want to know what Massachusetts educators learned from Mitt Romney‘s single term as Massachusetts governor? He forced them into increased classroom sizes, school budget cuts, higher fees and less out-of-school services for students.
As Ronald, a former superintendent from Attleboro, MA explains:
“Governor Romney said that he was not going to cut education. And then the next thing we knew those cuts were made.”
So take a look at this, then tell the Romney supporters you know with school children what they can expect if he gets elected.
- Obama: Romney is a teacher-basher (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
Here’s a 92-Year-Old Veteran’s Must See Poetic Deconstruction of Mitt Romney. I’ll put the complete poem below the video so you can share it with friends.
Mr. Maxwell is a very impressive guy, and he sticks a pin in the Romney balloon that promotes the Republican as having support of the elderly. He doesn’t
WHEREFORE ART THOU, MITT ROMNEY?
by Ralph Maxwell
O, Romney-O, Romney-O,
Wherefore art thou, Mitt Romney?
You flip-flop here, you flip-flop there,
You flip-flop almost ev’rywhere.
You ballyhoo what you’re gonna do
And then you pull a switcheroo;
You now malign what you once found fine;
Seems like you’ve got a jellyfish spine.
Obamacare, by you begun,
Now you’d trash it on day one.
Gun control you did extol,
But now you’re preaching decontrol.
O, Romney-O, Romney-O,
Wherefore art thou, Mitt Romney?
We’ve got no clue what you will do
Or what new view you’ll pander to.
Time was you championed women’s choice,
But you no longer heed their voice;
On gay rights, too, guess you withdrew
Support they once enjoyed from you.
O, Romney-O, Romney-O
Wherefore art thou, Mitt Romney?
So many things that you were for
You’ve turned against and slammed the door.
Stimulus and cap and trade,
Education, foreign aid,
Campaign reform, tarp rescues, too,
All victims of your switcheroo.
You take your stand on shifting sand,
We never know where you will land;
You vacillate, you fabricate,
A wishy-washy candidate.
O, Romney-O, Romney-O,
Wherefore art thou Mitt Romney?
As gov’nor you let taxes rise,
Now ev’ry tax you demonize.
You say regardless of the facts
You’d take an axe to millionaire’s tax;
You’d feed the greed of the richest few
The poor and middle class you’d screw.
Your tax returns you hide from view
What evil there lurks we’ve no clue;
If they’re not bad why hesitate?
Or is it they incriminate?
O, Romney-O, Romney-O,
Wherefore art thou Mitt Romney?
At Bain you plundered with a flair
And walked away a zillionaire.
As a total fraud, Mitt’s got no peer
What we should do is crystal clear:
Let’s give Obama four more years!
Yes, it’s Obama — four more years!
FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!
- Romney endorses “socialism” on 60 Minutes in yet another flip-flop (americablog.com)
- The Largest Compilation Of Mitt Romney Flip Flops (VIDEO) (addictinginfo.org)
- Mitt Romney Flip Flops On Health Care, Again, Within Six Hours – Takes Back What He Said This Morning (alan.com)
- Not breaking: Mitt Romney flip-flops yet again. This time, about a TV show. (dailykos.com)
- The All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Child Protection and The Family Justice Review (researchingreform.wordpress.com)
From Mansur Gidfar:
You know that guy who’s running for president? The one who touts individual achievement, without any government assistance, as the ideal embodied by truly patriotic Americans? Wouldn’t it be crazy if there were a video out there of, say, his own mother praising government welfare assistance as one of the primary reasons his father was able to establish himself in this great country of ours and eventually become a governor?
Oh wait. Skip to :50 for the good stuff.
- I Don’t Think ‘Middle Class’ Means What Politicians Think It Means (upworthy.com)
- Mitt Romney Just Doesn’t Get It (skydancingblog.com)
- A Tea Partier Decided To Pick A Fight With A Foreign President. It Didn’t Go So Well. (womensphilanthropy.typepad.com)
- You Built That: How Mitt Romney Shook Down American Taxpayers For His Welfare Olympics [Mitt Romney] (deadspin.com)
Romney commenting on a forced landing of a plane his wife was in when there was an accidental ekectrical fire:
When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem. So it’s very dangerous.
The Republican nominee’s command of airplane needs and technology lets us see the weakness of his intelligence. Just think, he could be running the technical needs of this country.
- Romney Wonders Why Airplane Windows Don’t Open (politicalwire.com)
- Romney: “I Don’t Know Why Airplane Windows Don’t Open” (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Romney: Why Don’t Plane Windows Open? (drudge.com)
- Mitt Romney Doesn’t Get Why Airplane Windows Don’t Open (nymag.com)
- Mitt Romney wants airplane windows to roll down in case of fire so people can breathe more easily (dailykos.com)
- Hilarious Reactions to Romney’s Airplane Windows Comment (alternet.org)
- Another day, another Romney fail: Airplane windows edition (dailykos.com)
I watched’ “60 Minutes” last night and heard Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney reveal his new plan for the millions of Americans who don’t have any health care coverage: Go to the emergency room.
“Well, we do provide care for people who don’t have insurance. If someone has a heart attack, they don’t sit in their apartment and die. We pick them up in an ambulance, and take them to the hospital, and give them care. And different states have different ways of providing for that care.”
– The 2012 Mittster
As just about anyone will tell you, this is a publicly more expensive program and must less effective than insured quality care on an ongoing basis.
This is the same man who implemented the universal health care law in Massachusetts (what we tend to call Romneycare) while he was the governor. He also reiterated the need for universal coverage back in 2010 during an appearance on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”
“Look, it doesn’t make a lot of sense for us to have millions and millions of people who have no health insurance and yet who can go to the emergency room and get entirely free care for which they have no responsibility, particularly if they are people who have sufficient means to pay their own way.”
– The 2010 Mittster
Does this guy ever stick to his opinions? Are any of his thoughts really his own?
I doubt it.
- Romney and Health Care (thepage.time.com)
- Mitt Romney Says the Emergency Room Is a Fine Health Insurance Plan for the Poors (slog.thestranger.com)
- Mitt Romney, On 60 Minutes, Cites Emergency Room As Health Care Option For Uninsured (afgelocal704.com)
- Romney was against emergency room care before he was for it – Washington Post (blog) (washingtonpost.com)
- Romney and Health Care – TIME (thepage.time.com)
- Romney Solidifies Major Shift On Health Care (VIDEO) (tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Mitt Romney: Don’t Have Health Care? Call Ambulance and Hope for the Best (alternet.org)
- Let Them Eat Emergency Rooms: Mitt Romney Says ERs Will Provide Care for the Uninsured [Say What] (gawker.com)
- Just go to the ER, redux (allbleedingstops.blogspot.com)
“If you have a foreign address,” the tax return instruction reads, “also complete spaces below.” In the space below, under “foreign country name,” Romney’s form reads “USA.”
Of course, it probably points out how rarely Romney actually fills out income tax forms. If he made the 12 years of forms previously available, maybe we could get a true sense of where Romney comes from.
- Romney Lists USA Under ‘Foreign Country’ on Tax Return (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Mitt Romney Calls the U.S. A “Foreign Country” On His Tax Returns (alan.com)
- Mitt Romney Calls U.S.A. a ‘Foreign Country’ in His Tax Returns (usnews.com)
- Americans Should be Outraged that Romney Pays Only 0.2% in Payroll Taxes (politicususa.com)
- Paul Abrams: What Romney’s Hiding: ‘It’s the Amnesty, Stupid’ (huffingtonpost.com)
Elegance does not equal mistaken idea…
– and –
The major element of this one speech brought Romney’s campaign to a halt…
– and –
And Romney’s image is that of a horse’s ass…
– and –
Kevin Siers in the Charlotte Observer:
Unlike previous wealthy candidates, Romney ignores the average American…
– and –
Mike Luckovich in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:
So, his image even makes the rich lose hope in his campaign.
- We Built It (Cartoon) (themoderatevoice.com)
- Friday Nite Lite: Party of the First Part (skydancingblog.com)
- Romney Cartoon 6 (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
In a video on You Tube from May, Romney is seen at a public event talking about alternative energy (which the Republicans in Congress have done everything possible to prevent). When discussing new energy sources new
Liquified Gas. Gosh, Hitler during the Second War I guess, because he was concerned about losing his oil, liquefied coal. That technology is still there. I’m told the Chinese are building five liquefied coal plants right now.
It’s hard to believe that the Mittster cited Hitler in a public address. Then again, it’s hard to believe a lot of things this guy says.
- Mitt Romney: Hitler’s Plan for Liquefied Coal is Good for America (treehugger.com)
- Why Mitt Romney As President Could Destroy Alternative Energy Investing (TAN, FSLR, TSL, UNG, USO) (etfdailynews.com)
- How a Romney Presidency Could Destroy Alternative Energy Investing (insidermonkey.com)
- Obama, Romney out of gas on energy (cnn.com)
Yesterday afternoon, Paul Ryan addressed the AARP’s National Annual Conference in New Orleans. The GOP vice presidential candidate attacked Obamacare for taking $716 billion out of Medicare — the very same cuts he included in his budget by the way — and made the case for transforming seniors’ health care from a guaranteed benefit into a premium support “voucher” program.
So what do you think the response was? Well, it didn’t go over with the audience. Take a look at this clip:
It’s a good thing senior citizens are part of the 47% and Ryan and Romney don’t have to worry about them.
- Paul Ryan to Defend Medicare Plan at AARP (abcnews.go.com)
- Paul Ryan to seniors: Obamacare threatens Medicare (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Barack Obama: Paul Ryan’s Medicare plan “could raise future retirees’ costs more than $6,000.” (politifact.com)
- Obama jabs Romney at AARP: ‘Medicare and Social Security are not handouts’ (leanforward.msnbc.com)
First Thoughts on NBC put this out last night:
“Idaho and South Dakota today are the first states to begin early-in-person voting. Also today, absentee voting begins in Minnesota, West Virginia, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Georgia, Arkansas, Idaho, and Maryland. This brings the total number of states already accepting ballots to 12. Thirteen additional states (South Carolina, New Jersey, Maine, Michigan, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Delaware, Virginia, Louisiana, and Missouri) will begin absentee or early voting on Saturday.”
So by tomorrow, half the country will be casting votes (battleground states in bold): AR, DE, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, NH, NJ, NC, OK, SC, SD, TN, TX, VT, VA, WV, WI.
- Which States are Already Voting? (politicalwire.com)
- States gear up for early, absentee voting (upi.com)
- First Thoughts: Obama’s battleground edge grows (firstread.nbcnews.com)
- Daugaard urges troops to register to vote (rapidcityjournal.com)
- 46 Days Out, Absentee Voting Begins In Minnesota (minnesota.cbslocal.com)
- Ready, Set, Vote! Early Voting Begins (abcnews.go.com)
- Campaigns court early voters; Will it matter? (cbsnews.com)
- ‘Election Day’ Begins Tomorrow In Two States (sweetness-light.com)
President Obama’s campaign released a new video made up entirely out-of-context clips of Mitt Romney, intended to show how the Romney campaign’s attack on Obama’s 14 year old “redistribution” comment was unfair. The Romneyites have been releasing Obama’s old statements without including the complete context, thus making him criticizable. If the same thing is done to Romney, the results change the Republican’s entire campaign.
- Mitt Romney’s dad was on welfare (dailykos.com)
- Watch: Obama on Mitt Romney Fundraising Tapes (abcnews.go.com)
- Team Obama releases tongue-in-cheek video taking Romney out of context (thehill.com)
- Best Ad Ever: Obama Schools Romney on Being Taken Out of Context (politicususa.com)
- Ann Romney Will Inevitably Annoy Voters, Says Mitt Romney (jezebel.com)
- The Media Busts Mitt Romney for Trying to Breitbart Them on Redistribution (politicususa.com)
- Romney Campaign Puts Up, Then Almost Immediately Takes Down, a Video Titled “Mitt Doesn’t Disdain the Poor” (slog.thestranger.com)
That is not Willard’s usual look, is it? It looks … browner.
As though Romney was doing Ace Ventura: “In order to win the Mexican … you must BE the Mexican!”.
Or as though Romney was still thinking “Sure would be easier if I were Mexican”.
Or maybe he just had a secret meeting with John Boehner and John is just rubbing off on him.
But I think this is just the pander-o-matic performing its usual function. Even Willard’s skin is inauthentic. The witty NegSpin dubs this “Tandering”, and I agree.
Of course, we all know Mitt will try anything to get past the gaffe-loaded problems with his campaign… and to get Latinos why not look like a Latino?
What happens if he speaks to the NAACP?
- Romney Says it Would be Helpful to be Latino (politicalwire.com)
- Race Matters: Money Mitt Romney Says He Would Have An Easier Chance Becoming President If He Were Mexican (bossip.com)
- Mitt Romney ‘Dyed His Face Brown’ to Appeal to Latino Voters [Conspiracy Theory] (gawker.com)
- Romney’s Latino comment met with humor (abc15.com)
- 5 Ways Mitt Romney Has Stirred Up Race Resentment (alternet.org)