Daily Archives: October 3, 2012
…and I will give you a free gift if you make a donation of $5.00 or more…
…you get my popular picture font:“Bill’s Victorian Ornaments” These images created from traditional and period sources are very usable at any size in designs and publications. The font comes for Mac and PC, and I usually sell it for $29.95. It’s my way of saying “Thank You” to offer it to $5 or more donors.
So many of you have been following this blog since 2004 that I feel like a member of a huge web community.
I have enjoyed bringing you the Cartoon(s) of the Week, the Quotes, the Political and Arts News, the Blogrolls of the best sites in America and beyond… They are all a joy to put together. Often we get the breaking political stories before you see them anywhere else. And our wide open communication channels with readers can’t be beat. I offer your participation at all times and appreciate the hundreds of subscribers who sign up every year.
I really need YOUR help to keep it going. I’m hoping you will make a small contribution, by PayPal or credit/debit card, in support of Under The LobsterScope. You’d be amazed at how much $5.00 can do to help me bring more and more to these pages. And it is probably the LOWEST annual subscription fee you will make to any publication… interactive or not. I often receive larger contributions and I certainly appreciate those.
I should note that even a donation of $1.00 gets my thanks and helps to keep this blog going. By clicking on the DONATE button below, you tell me that Under The LobsterScope makes a difference in your time on the web.
– Bill T.
- Font, TypeFace, TypeStyle, Typefamily, FontType? Whatever. (imjustcreative.com)
- Thanks to Mary Ellen Heinemann and beverle bloch for their contributions to this blog… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
Who does Romney get his debate advice from? Here’s the top 8 of his advisors:
Don’t Be Aggressive – “Relax and be prepared…You can be on offense without being offensive.” – Newt Gingrich
Focus On The Economy – “This really is about our economy. When he lays out a plan to fix our tax code to stop the overreach of regulations coming out of Washington, to get our debt problem under control, and to have a national energy policy, let me tell you what, the American people will respond.” – John Boehner
Don’t Focus On The Economy – “In debate, @MittRomney should ask Obama why autobiography states, ‘born in Kenya, raised in Indonesia.'” – Donald Trump
Go Big – “It makes you think how far ahead Romney would be if he were actually running a campaign. His unwillingness to go big, to go for the larger argument, is simply astonishing … Make the case. Go large.” – Charles Krauthammer
Don’t Go Big – “The challenge for Gov. Romney is to relate to people personally and provide some inspiration that their quality of life will improve,” – Linda DiVall, Top GOP Pollster
Keep It Simple – “I think he just has to lay out his plan and his vision … In the end this is going to be about Governor Romney over the next four or five weeks laying that vision out for folks.” – Chris Christie
Totally Change Up His Game – Romney should say, “I’m a nonideological guy running in an ideological age, and I’ve been pretending to be more of an ideologue than I really am. I’m a sophisticated guy running in a populist moment.” – David Brooks
- 8 Republicans Giving Mitt Romney Totally Contradictory Advice For The Debate (upworthy.com)
- VIDEO: Bill O’Reilly, Laura Ingraham Clash Over Mitt Romney’s Debate Strategy (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Charles Krauthammer Calls Out Romney Campaign’s Missed Opportunities On O’Reilly (mediaite.com)
- David Brooks: Mitt Romney Is ‘The Least Popular Candidate In History’ (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Fox News’ O’Reilly says Romney ‘can’t care about the press’ in debate (theblaze.com)
- How Mitt Romney is blowing it, according to Every Conservative Pundit | Benjy Sarlin (guardian.co.uk)
- Chris Christie: Mitt Romney Will Turn Race ‘Upside Down’ With Debate Performance (huffingtonpost.com)
So what were the results of the Republican refusal to work with their president? Take a look:
Remember this when Romney brings up the 8.1% unemployment rate… remember it when he says Obama has done nothing to even attempt to create jobs.
- Sen. Harry Reid to US: ‘Romney is not the face of Mormonism’ (ksl.com)
- Obama On Romney Welfare Accusations: ‘You Can’t Just Make Stuff Up’ (mbcalyn.com)
- Romney under pressure to score debate win against Obama – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Obama hits Romney on miners ad (politico.com)
- GOP reviews turning negative on Romney’s campaign (cnsnews.com)
- Obama launches new criticism of Romney and China (usnews.com)
This is it… first debate of the election season tonight at 9:00 PM Eastern Time. We’re all making guesses as to who is going to say what, who is going to come out on top, etc.
Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) shared his thoughts on the presidential debate:
“Romney has to hit it out of the park. This is probably his last chance, and I bet on Obama.”
Obama has more to think about on this date. It happens to be his and Michelle‘s 20th wedding anniversary… not a great way to celebrate it I think. However, this could also give Obama a really special goal in taking on Romney as a salute to his wife and an extension of his positive mood.
This may be Romney’s last chance to recover the lead in the race… it’s his to lose as many pundits are saying. He has been rehearsing more than he has been out campaigning and, as we have been told, he is memorizing “zingers”. What they are we will have to wait to see, also we’ll have to observe when he uses them. This could be his major mistake of the evening.
Anyway, I wish the Obamas a Happy Anniversary and hope Barack has good luck this evening in Denver.
- Suggested Romney Zinger Lines (themoderatevoice.com)
- Sand Baggery & Zingers (aphilosopher.wordpress.com)
- Mitt Romney Has His Debate Zingers All Ready To Go (nymag.com)
- CNN to Air Interviews with Michelle Obama, Ann Romney Ahead of First Debate (cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com)
- President Obama, Mitt Romney to square off in first debate (fox6now.com)
- First debate sets up moment of high-risk theater (news.yahoo.com)
- Obamas’ wedding anniversary lands on debate night (wjla.com)
- Obamas’ wedding anniversary lands on debate night (seattletimes.com)