Mormon may be excommunicated because of his web site critical of the LDS church and Mitt Romney…
David Twede, a fifth-generation Mormon publishes MormonThink, a Web site which debates church teaching. The site has drawn increased traffic as Mormons turn to the Internet to find answers to controversial questions about Mormon history and traditions that the church does not address.
The church has come under heightened scrutiny with the presidential candidacy of Mitt Romney, a Mormon who once served as a bishop. The church went through a spate of public excommunications of prominent scholars and feminists in the early 1990s, but in recent years public excommunications of dissidents have been rare, church experts said.
Mr. Twede’s situation was first reported on Friday by the Web site The Daily Beast, which suggested that Mr. Twede was being disciplined because he had posted several articles on MormonThink critical of Mr. Romney.
After being interrogated in a church office for 45 minutes, Twede commented:
“They said that they felt I was a spy and a wolf in sheep’s clothing. They said that they need to protect the flock from the Antichrist, from an apostate.”
- Mormon Writer Threatened With Excommunication For Criticizing Romney (alan.com)
- LDS Church denies member may be facing discipline for criticizing Romney (abc4.com)
- Mormons Try to Expel Romney Critic (thedailybeast.com)
- Mormon church threatens to excommunicate member who criticized Romney (rawstory.com)
- “Cease and Desist, Brother Twede”: Mormon Blogger Says Church Officials Threatened Excommunication Over Criticism of Romney and the Church (jonathanturley.org)
- Mitt Romney’s Influence Felt By Mormon Apologist As The Mormon’s Hunt Them Down and Publicly Excommunicate Them (diaryofagaymormonmissionary.com)
- Is Criticizing Mitt Romney an Excommunicable Offense? No. (religiondispatches.org)
- Religious Thugs (sporkinthedrawer.typepad.com)
Posted on September 22, 2012, in Announcement, campaign, election, ethics, government, history, Internet, Legal, Lies, News, Opinion, Politics, Press, quote, vote, Warning, Word from Bill and tagged Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Daily Beast, Excommunication, Florida, Mitt Romney, Mormon, Twede, Twitter. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Mormon may be excommunicated because of his web site critical of the LDS church and Mitt Romney….