Quotes of the Day – Diversity of the Democratic National Convention
Remember last week when the Republicans put up black, woman, hispanic and other speakers (in front of the virtually all white audience) and said their convention represented a much more diverse America than the Democrats ever could? Well, they ought to take a look at a convention where the speakers AND the conventioneers are made up out of a great mix of Americans.
“This is truly the most diverse, the most open, the most transparent, the most exciting convention we’re about to undertake. It is big, it is bold, it is beautiful, it is America.”
– Alice Germond, Democratic National Committee Secretary
“We’re doing things a little different than the Republicans. A lot more delegates, Latino delegates, African Americans, women. In addition to having very prominent roles like the keynote speaker, and in my case chairing the convention, you’ll also see that our platform reflects our values.
“The face of our party will reflect the values of our party”
– Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Convention Chairman
Makes me proud to be a Democrat.
- DNC theme: Building economy from middle out (charlotteobserver.com)
- Villaraigosa Touts Diversity as Half Democratic Delegates Women – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Obama, Democrats to make their case as convention opens (reuters.com)
- In a Switch, GOP’s Speakers Highlight Diversity (cornhusker4palin.newsvine.com)
- DNC 2012, by the numbers (politico.com)
- NBC’s Chuck Todd: ‘Democrats Wish They Had The Diversity’ Of The GOP (mediaite.com)
- Open, accesible and diverse, versus secret, exclusive and white (proseandthorn.wordpress.com)
Posted on September 4, 2012, in Announcement, campaign, election, event, government, News, Opinion, Politics, President Obama, quote, vote, Word from Bill and tagged African American, Alice Germond, Democratic, Democratic National Committee, Democratic National Convention, Democrats, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Race and ethnicity in the United States Census, Republican, United States. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Quotes of the Day – Diversity of the Democratic National Convention.