Daily Archives: August 22, 2012
All the discussion in the last couple of days about Abortion as a response to rape has raised so many women’s issues and shown the true face of the Republicans.
First take a look at the overall view of the 112th Congress, it is impossible to miss the big picture that Republicans have used a multi-faceted approach in their war on women, especially in their right to choose their own health coverage. For the past couple of days, there has been a firestorm over comments made by Representative Todd Akin regarding what he calls “legitimate rape,” and although it is a big story, it is just a small part of the entire GOP’s view of women.
Republicans – even Rush Limbaugh – abandoned and condemned Akin over his remarks on legitimate rape and conception, especially when the Republican congessmen trying to make him quit the race, have voted with him to eliminate a women’s right to choose throughout the 112th Congress.
The Romney campaign team swtated in writing: “Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape,” but critics began connecting Paul Ryan to Akin. It became glaringly obvious that Ryan and Romney have also promoted his twisted pro-life position. Ryan co-sponsored, with Akin, a national personhood bill that defines a single-celled zygote as having all the rights of an American citizen, and Romney tapped him for vice-president.
Romney said he would scrap the Title X program (Medicaid coverage that handles contraception and abortion) entirely to cut costs. But, according to the Guttmacher Institute, every dollar spent helping women avoid pregnancy saves $3.74 in Medicaid spending. The issue is not cutting costs, but ending women’s right to choose when they give birth. And what is the basis of Ryan, Romney, Akin, and the rest of the Republicans’ pro-life stance? It is based entirely on the Christian bible and not fiscal conservatism.
If any woman in America has not yet figured out that Republicans, all Republicans, hold them in contempt and believe their place is on the birthing table, then they better take a better look at more than just Todd Akin.
- Paul Ryan pretends he doesn’t agree with every ‘outrageous’ thing Todd Akin said (dailykos.com)
- Reps. Todd Akin And Paul Ryan Co-Sponsored Bill Using Term “Forcible Rape” (alan.com)
- Do You Get It? (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Parker: Todd Akin’s words about rape aren’t the problem (newsday.com)
- Akin Intimates That Women Fake Rape to Get Abortions (news.firedoglake.com)
- Eight staggering GOP comments on rape and women (salon.com)
- Ryan backed more than one ‘forcible rape’ abortion bill (firstread.nbcnews.com)
- Paul Ryan Is No Friend Of Women Who Were Raped (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- Akin Concedes, No Illegitimate Rape, It’s Just That Women Lie About It (alan.com)
- Republican Todd Akin: Don’t Worry, You Won’t Get Pregnant From Rape (triing2survive.wordpress.com)
“If the campaign is about issues, we win. If it’s about Mitt Romney‘s record as a businessman, then we don’t win. If it’s about Mitt Romney’s tax returns, then we don’t win. If it’s about whether people like Mitt Romney more than Barack Obama, then we don’t win.“
My one disagreement? I think if it’s about issues (women, war, taxes, etc.) then Romney doesn’t win either.
- Santorum: “We Win” On Issues, But Lose On Romney’s Bain Record And Likeability (alan.com)
- Santorum: Why Romney Might Lose (thedailybeast.com)
- Santorum: Romney wins if campaign is about ‘issues’ and not business record or tax returns (thehill.com)
- Why Are They Picking on Akin? (boomantribune.com)
- Will big money save Mitt Romney and the GOP? (english.ruvr.ru)
- Richest Members Of Congress Mostly Republican: Problem With Electing Mitt Romney? (truelogic.wordpress.com)
- Mitt Romney fails to get significant boost from Paul Ryan selection (guardian.co.uk)
It was a wonderful wedding, watching my son and his bride having the time of their lives, but a painful one for me. I spent most of my time looking for places to sit and keep my left side from interacting with the world… and I almost got away with it.
There was one accident, however: after taking wedding pictures of family and bridal party on the Oriental Theater’s stage, I missed a step coming back into the audience area and fell hard, re-injuring my cracked collar bone and shoulder blade. Several nice wedding party members helped me get back on my feet, but I returned to West Virginia more in pain than when I left. Believe me, the 18 hour train rides (switch in Chicago… if it weren’t for the redcap service I never would have been able to change trains… were incredibly unpleasant and I got no sleep on the overnight run.
One great thing about the wedding was I got to see my cousin, Bob Barsale, who, since he lives in Chicago, I have not seen much of in the past 25 years. Growing up, Bob was the closest thing I had to a brother and he (and his wife Suzie and daughter SueSue) mean a great deal to me. Since he occasionally reads me on Facebook, I send my best wishes out to him.
OK… now I have to get back onto my life, my string of Doctor’s appointments and more. I hope you all have a nice day. I home Buddy and Rachel are enjoying their mini-Honeymoon at Lake Geneva. I hope all the family and friends I saw got home OK.
- My Big Fat Unconventional Wedding (justhitchednowwhat.wordpress.com)
- Chicago Court Case Dogs Program could serve as model for Milwaukee (fox6now.com)
- Milwaukee packs weekend with events to celebrate armed forces (fox6now.com)
- Milwaukee Wants To Wipe Pittsburgh Off The Map (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Style For Style: Stylish Solutions for Broken Bones (fabsugar.com)
Diller paved the way for generations of female comedians, notably like Joan Rivers and others, who broke down the image of the American housewife.
Born Phyllis Ada Driver on July 17, 1917, in Lima, Ohio, she was the first of a new breed; deconstructing the suburban housewife and drawing in laughs on the subject of child-bearing and her fictional husband, Fang.
Eccentric in her appearance, it was balanced by a self-deprecating tone that endeared her to all she met.
‘Her lines were so brilliant that all she had to do was stand on the stage and say ’em and you would have cracked up.’
– Joan Rivers
- Phyllis Diller Dead at Age 95 (snspost.com)
- Phyllis Diller Dead — Legendary Comic Dies at 95 #Breaking (tmz.com)
- Comedian Phyllis Diller dead at 95 (cbsnews.com)
- Phyllis Diller dead at 95 (salon.com)
- Phyllis Diller dies: Legendary actress, comedienne dies at 95 (wjla.com)
- Humorist Phyllis Diller dies at 95 in Los Angeles (onlineathens.com)
- Humorist Phyllis Diller dies at 95 in Los Angeles (enterprisenews.com)
- Phyllis Diller dies at 95 in Los Angeles (metronews.ca)