Daily Archives: August 15, 2012
- Al Freeman Jr. Remembered For Soaps To Spike Lee (npr.org)
- Al Freeman Jr – Actor Al Freeman, Jr. Dies (contactmusic.com)
- Emmy Award-Winning Actor Al Freeman Jr. Dead at 78 (atlantablackstar.com)
- Al Freeman, Jr. Has Died (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Al Freeman Jr., Actor Prominent in Civil Rights Era, Dies at 78 (nytimes.com)
- American actor Al Freeman Jr dies (abc.net.au)
- Al Freeman Pioneering Black Actor Has Died At Age 78 (theobamacrat.com)
Ron Palillo, who portrayed the goofy high school underachiever Arnold Horshack in the hit 1970s sitcom “Welcome Back, Kotter” with such definitive oddballness that he had trouble for years afterward finding work as an actor, died on Tuesday in West Palm Beach, Fla. He was 63.
The apparent cause was a heart attack, said his agent, Scott Stander.
Horshack typified him as a character.
“I know him, love what he does, not right for the part,” Mr. Palillo said in a 1997 newspaper interview, repeating what he said was the mantra of every casting director he met after his years on “Kotter,” which was on ABC from 1975 to 1979. “Everybody thought of me as Arnold Horshack. I resented Horshack for so many years.”
Mr. Palillo had supporting roles on television series like “The Love Boat” and “The A-Team.” But the Horshack typecasting became chronic.
“I think producers could smell the desperation in me,” he told The Akron Beacon Journal in 1997.
In 1991 he moved to New York to be in the daytime drama “One Life to Live”and he also had the lead role in an Off Off Broadway production of “Amadeus.” He taught drama at the University of Connecticut, his alma mater. In 2010, in West Hartford, Conn., he directed the first production of “The Lost Boy,” a musical he wrote based on the life of J. M. Barrie, author of “Peter Pan.”
- Ron Palillo, “Welcome Back Kotter’s” Arnold Horshack, Dead at 63 (news92fm.com)
- Ron Palillo, Arnold Horshack of ‘Welcome Back Kotter,’ Dies at 63 (celebs.gather.com)
- Ron Palillo, ‘Horshack’, dies: Welcome Back, Kotter star dies at 63 (wjla.com)
- Ron Palillo, who played Arnold Horshack on Welcome Back, Kotter, dead at 63 (arts.nationalpost.com)
- Welcome back, Kotter actor Ron Palillo dead at 63 (cbc.ca)
- Ron Palillo, actor who played nerdy teen Arnold Horshack on ‘Welcome Back, Kotter’ dies at 63 (vancouversun.com)
- Ron Palillo, who played Horshack on ‘Welcome Back, Kotter,’ dies at 63, friends say – @pbpost (wptv.com)
Tomorrow Elly and I board a train for Wisconsin to get to Buddy and Rachel’s wedding, and today is filling up with more and more things we gave to do in order to leave. Meanwhile, I’m adjusting to my current level of pain from the accident and hoping the next seven days will be possible to get through.
We have to go shopping, get our mail held (a trip to the post office), put the dogs in a kennel, start packing – which means getting my meds together, going over wedding clothes, setting up necessary things with friends and neighbors for things that have to be done while we are gone, etc. etc. stc,
I’m already tired just thinking about it.