Romney stuck with Ryan?
Looks like Romney may be stuck with Paul Ryan as VP nominee… not something he originally considered.
Here’s a clip from New York Magazine‘s piece on the subject:
Conservative anxiety has stalked Mitt Romney since the outset of his presidential campaign, expressing itself in a series of hopes that a nominee who was not Romney might win, and then, after his nomination became inevitable, as endless caterwauling for Romney himself to act less … Romney-like. Romney’s vice-presidential selection has begun to serve as a stand-in for these demands, and as recently as a week ago, they split between calls for him to pick Paul Ryan and calls for Marco Rubio.
But since then, Romney’s position has steadily eroded, intensifying the conservative panic. And a report by National Review’s Robert Costa that Romney was giving Ryan strong consideration focused all the attention on the dreamy House Budget Committee chairman and unofficial party leader. Suddenly Ryan’s potential nomination has become the sole locus of the conservative movement’s longings.
At this point, joining Ryan to the ticket would be a huge gamble. Romney would be tapping into Ryan’s immense political talent, but giving up on his win-by-default strategy that has taken a beating but might look good again if, say, some international disaster craters the recovery between now and November. In any case, the conservative drumbeat for Ryan has grown so overwhelming that it’s no longer even clear that Romney could turn Ryan down for an Incredibly Boring White Guy, even if he wants to. The Republican Party belongs to Ryan.
Has there ever been a Presidential nominee that was so unloved by his party?
- Pressure on Romney to pick Ryan as VP (news.yahoo.com)
- Klein: Why do conservatives want Mitt Romney to choose Paul Ryan for VP? (newsday.com)
- Romney Hint: Paul Ryan for Vice Presidential Pick? (themoderatevoice.com)
- Romney Faces Pressure From Right to Put Ryan on Ticket (democraticunderground.com)
- Paul Ryan? Really? (thedailybanter.com)
- Romney: I want a VP with ‘vision for the country’ (firstread.nbcnews.com)
- Pressure on Romney to pick Ryan as VP (news.terra.com)
- Paul Ryan: Romney’s Only Sane Choice (redalertpolitics.com)
Posted on August 10, 2012, in campaign, Congress, Economics, election, ethics, government, history, News, Opinion, Politics, quote, Taxes, vote, Word from Bill and tagged Marco Rubio, Mitt Romney, National Review, Paul Ryan, Republican, Romney, Ryan, United States House Committee on the Budget. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.