So how is the British press reacting to Mitt?
Romney is certainly giving the English Press a lot to talk about on center spreads, while Olympic coverage takes the front pages. Their reaction to Mitt has gone from openness, to skepticism, to mocking, to concluding that Mitt Romney is worse than Sarah Palin.
Take Daily Mail Political Editor James Chapman, whose cen6ter spread was topped with a two page headline: Romney is a Party Pooper. He has been providing the world a play by play of Romney’s British implosion via his Twitter account, starting off by criticizing London’s preparedness for the Olympics, then forgotname of British Labour Leader Ed Miliband, and then he admitted that he had been given a secret briefing by MI6. This led the British to ask aloud if they have another George W. Bush on their hands:
“Romney blunders again by revealing he’s had (supposedly) top secret briefing by John Sawers, MI6 boss. Do we have a new Dubya on our hands?”
After his visit to Whitehall, Chapman offered two of the kinder reviews of Mitt Romney:
“Serious dismay in Whitehall at Romney debut. ‘Worse than Sarah Palin.’ ‘Total car crash’. Two of the kinder verdicts. Another verdict from one Romney meeting: ‘Apparently devoid of charm, warmth, humour or sincerity’”
“Quite a moment from the Mayor of London Boris Johnson. Shortly after Rix had lit the flame he really went for it in Hyde Park. He referenced Mitt Romney’s ‘London isn’t ready’ quip and shot back in style. “Are we ready?” he called and the crowd went wild. There may even have been a hint of the Obama-friendly “Yes we can!” in there – he may have jumped into a winning scenario but I’ve not heard a politician get that reaction before.”
… and this in front of a crowd of over 200,000 Londoners.
- Romney in Shambles as Britain Proclaims Him Worse than Sarah Palin (tribuneofthepeople.com)
- Mitt Romney’s London Trip: Successful In Terms of Image Deconstructing (themoderatevoice.com)
- Romney’s very bad London trip (dailykos.com)
- Mitt Romney’s very, very bad day (dailykos.com)
- Mitt Romney is the new Sarah Palin! (polizeros.com)
- London Mayor Mocks Mitt Romney For Olympics Remarks (thinkprogress.org)
- British media revel in Romney’s day of gaffes (cbsnews.com)
- Blimey! London Mayor Mocks ‘This Guy Called Mitt Romney’ (theatlanticwire.com)
Posted on July 27, 2012, in Announcement, campaign, editorial, election, ethics, government, News, Opinion, Politics, President Obama, quote, Television, vote, Word from Bill, World News and tagged Boris Johnson, Daily Mail, George W. Bush, John Sawers, London, mittromney, Romney, Sarah Palin, The Telegraph. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on So how is the British press reacting to Mitt?.