Daily Archives: July 27, 2012
It was a pre-recorded skit — directed, of course, by Danny Boyle (the celebrated filmmaker helming the entire ceremony) — Daniel Craig in character as James Bond arrives Buckingham Palace, where he is taken to the Queen… the actual Queen Elizabeth… and her corgis. Private rooms within the residence were shown, a testament to the nation’s commitment to making the evening a special one (Boyle pulled off aan awful lot of amazing things in the overall event.)
Take a look at the video and see how Bond gets the Queen to the Olympic stadium:
- Olympic opener will be spectacular but not secret (miamiherald.com)
- London 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony start time in New Zealand (3news.co.nz)
- Get the Party Started… (thesun.co.uk)
- Just what will Danny Boyle do for Olympics opening ceremony? (standard.co.uk)
Elly and I are in the planning stages of our earth bermed house project which we hope to be living in in a year or so. About a mile or so from our current house is an “Earthship“, a particular style of earth bermed house, originally designed and promoted by New mexico architect Mike Reynolds. It is built with walls made out of earth-filled automobile tires that are then covered with clay and cement.
It uses south-facing solar windows and a number of other things (like greywater cisterns) which we are planning on.
While this is not the method of building we are looking at, it has enough of the same features that we felt it would be a source of information for us. Owners Larry and Karen spent four years doing much of the building themselves and they were a fountain of information answering all of our questions and giving us advice. We have a number of leads to look up that they have directed us to.
I’ll be getting into more stuff about our new house plan as we go along.
- Earthship Houses: Michael Reynolds (universalwordsofinspiration.wordpress.com)
- Earthship Codes, Permits, Regulations and Laws (taketochange.com)
- Earthships: Off-grid, zero-emission, recycled-content homes (mnn.com)
- Earthships Could Transform Philadelphia (sierraclub.typepad.com)
- Garbage Warrior (Full Version) (undergrounddocumentaries.com)
- Earthrise: Earthships + North Aral Sea Revival (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- PREMIERE: THE WAR ON HEALTH: THE FDA’s CULT OF TYRANNY by Gary Null (prn.fm)
- War on Health – Gary Null’s documentary exposing the FDA – *video* (chasvoice.blogspot.com)
- Watch War on Health: The FDA’s Cult of Tyranny (foodfreedomgroup.com)
- Organically Farmed vs. Locally Produced (theepochtimes.com)
- War on Health: FDAs Cult of Tyranny (Trailer) (therealfoodchannel.com)
Romney is certainly giving the English Press a lot to talk about on center spreads, while Olympic coverage takes the front pages. Their reaction to Mitt has gone from openness, to skepticism, to mocking, to concluding that Mitt Romney is worse than Sarah Palin.
Take Daily Mail Political Editor James Chapman, whose cen6ter spread was topped with a two page headline: Romney is a Party Pooper. He has been providing the world a play by play of Romney’s British implosion via his Twitter account, starting off by criticizing London’s preparedness for the Olympics, then forgotname of British Labour Leader Ed Miliband, and then he admitted that he had been given a secret briefing by MI6. This led the British to ask aloud if they have another George W. Bush on their hands:
“Romney blunders again by revealing he’s had (supposedly) top secret briefing by John Sawers, MI6 boss. Do we have a new Dubya on our hands?”
After his visit to Whitehall, Chapman offered two of the kinder reviews of Mitt Romney:
“Serious dismay in Whitehall at Romney debut. ‘Worse than Sarah Palin.’ ‘Total car crash’. Two of the kinder verdicts. Another verdict from one Romney meeting: ‘Apparently devoid of charm, warmth, humour or sincerity’”
“Quite a moment from the Mayor of London Boris Johnson. Shortly after Rix had lit the flame he really went for it in Hyde Park. He referenced Mitt Romney’s ‘London isn’t ready’ quip and shot back in style. “Are we ready?” he called and the crowd went wild. There may even have been a hint of the Obama-friendly “Yes we can!” in there – he may have jumped into a winning scenario but I’ve not heard a politician get that reaction before.”
… and this in front of a crowd of over 200,000 Londoners.
- Romney in Shambles as Britain Proclaims Him Worse than Sarah Palin (tribuneofthepeople.com)
- Mitt Romney’s London Trip: Successful In Terms of Image Deconstructing (themoderatevoice.com)
- Romney’s very bad London trip (dailykos.com)
- Mitt Romney’s very, very bad day (dailykos.com)
- Mitt Romney is the new Sarah Palin! (polizeros.com)
- London Mayor Mocks Mitt Romney For Olympics Remarks (thinkprogress.org)
- British media revel in Romney’s day of gaffes (cbsnews.com)
- Blimey! London Mayor Mocks ‘This Guy Called Mitt Romney’ (theatlanticwire.com)