Obama calls for legislation to limit sales of guns, especially AK-47s…
In a speech before the National Urban League convention in New Orleans yesterday, the president tied Aurora shooting and other high-profile mass shootings in recent years to continuing urban gun violence. He said it was time to take greater legislative steps to curb the problem:
“I, like most Americans, believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms. But I also believe that a lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals — that they belong on the battlefields of war and not on the streets of our cities.
“I believe the majority of gun owners would agree that we should do everything possible to prevent criminals and fugitives from purchasing weapons. We should check someone’s criminal record before they can check out a gun seller. Many mentally unbalanced individuals should not be able to get their hands on a gun so easily. These steps shouldn’t be controversial they should be common sense.”
- Video: President Obama Says “AK-47s Belong in the Hands of Soldiers, not Criminals” (opposingviews.com)
- Obama: AK-47s belong on battlefield, not streets (politico.com)
- Automatic weapons assault ban here we go: Obama: AK-47s belong on battlefield, not streets (investmentwatchblog.com)
- Aurora shootings: Obama calls for ‘common sense’ over guns – BBC News (bbc.co.uk)
- Obama calls for gun control deal in wake of Aurora theatre shootings (guardian.co.uk)
Posted on July 26, 2012, in Announcement, campaign, Congress, crime, election, ethics, event, government, history, Legal, News, Opinion, Politics, President Obama, quote, War, Warning, Word from Bill and tagged AK-47, Barack Obama, Gun violence, National Urban League, New Orleans, Obama, Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, United States. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.