Daily Archives: July 22, 2012
From Right Wing Watch:
Fred Jackson, the American Family Association’s news director, while discussing the Colorado movie theater shooting today said that liberal Christian churches and liberal media helped contribute to violent incidents by supposedly deemphasizing the fear of God and the Bible.
During AFA Today, Jackson had on as his guest Jerry Newcombe of Truth in Action Ministries to discuss his column on the AFA’s OneNewsNow blaming the shooting on a waning fear of God and Hell, and blamed the American Civil Liberties Union for destroying the public school system by supposedly forbidding students from reading the Bible. “You wonder why all these terrible things are happening to us when there is no fear of God,” Newcombe said.
Jackson maintained that unlike in the communities of forty years ago, liberals in the media and churches, along with movies and the internet, have “have come together to give us these kinds of incidents.”
Later in the program, Jackson and co-host Teddy James of AFA Journal said the shooting is a sign of God’s judgment for the failings of the public education system and liberal, mainline Protestant churches that affirm gays and lesbians.
Maybe you understand why I have so little respect for right wing Christianity. What mystifies me is that there are people who believe this bullshit.
- Evangelical radio host: ‘Tax the atheists who don’t go to church’ (rawstory.com)
- Lawrence O’Donnell Pokes Fun at AFA’s Buster Wilson for Mulling Google Boycott (rightwingwatch.org)
- A prayerful response to the Colorado shootings (prayerfullivingnewsblog.wordpress.com)
- AFA Blames Gays For Penn States’ Coverup Of Sandusky Crimes (lezgetreal.com)
- AFA Wants To Boycott Google. Good Luck With That, Fellas! (queerty.com)
Normally, we engage in a searching conversation over what rational steps can be taken by individuals, communities and various levels of government to make the recurrence of a comparable tragedy less likely. Sometimes we act, sometimes we don’t, but at least we explore sensible solutions.
Unless the tragedy involves guns. Then our whole public reasoning process goes haywire.
Of course, this shows the evil effect the NRA has had on our society. Take the 1994 regulation that banned the sale of assault weapons. For ten years the NRA lobbied on the need for Americans to buy the guns they wanted and in 2004 they succeeded by not having the law renewed. This also included AUTOMATIC assault weapons… the ability for fast multi-bullet firing, just like what happened in the Colorado movie theatre. And remember, the gunman acquired his guns and 60,000 bullets legally.
I admire Dionne and think we should pay attention to him. The rest of his article is HERE.
- Sick at Heart (jordancornblog.wordpress.com)
- NRA Magazine Deletes Offensive Tweet Following Shooting in Colorado [Update] (politicker.com)
- Why gun lovers still fear Obama (politico.com)
- Aurora, Colorado Gun Deaths Happened Because Americans Refuse To Confront The NRA (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
Does the Tea Party have any idea what government is for?
– and –
Will they ever realize that they are being used?
– and –
Do they have a leader with integrity?
– and –
John Darkow in the Columbia Daily Tribune:
Do they even listen to the charges being brought against him?
– and –
Oh well… they can always change their minds retroactively.
- John Roberts saves ‘Obamacare,’ enrages tea party conservatives (thelastofthemillenniums.wordpress.com)
- Can We Save “The News”? (aoprep.blogspot.com)