Daily Archives: July 19, 2012
This is a problem which we either deal with or succumb to. The Romney campaign will support the growth of these greedy corporations. Will You?
- Chris Hedges and Joe Sacco Explore Corporate ‘Sacrifice Zones’ (crooksandliars.com)
- The Battle of Blair Mountain by Chris Hedges ” Dandelion Salad (womensphilanthropy.typepad.com)
- The World Is Flat (thedailybeast.com)
- Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt – Chris Hedges_on Anti-War Progressive Teach-in (noliesradio.org)
- Gripping Reportage in ‘Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt’ (Graphic Novelties) (popmatters.com)
- The Battle of Blair Mountain (truthdig.com)
- Chris Hedges: Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt (jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com)
The business growth of Private Enterprise Prisons… this at a time when violent crimes have decreased about 41%…
My good friend and radio personality John Case received an e-mail from Senator Joe Manchin (D – WV) which, to all appearances, supports many of the subjects which we on the left do as well. John points out that this is a ruse… and, of course, with an election coming in November, Joe is trying to make himself look OK to Democrats.
Here’s the correspondence:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Joe Manchin <email@example.com> wrote:
West Virginia is still recovering from the storms that did so much damage these past few weeks. The power is back on, but families lost their groceries, saw their fuel expenditures rise, and many, many people lost pay because businesses weren’t operating. What more evidence do we need that American infrastructure needs improvement?
But in the middle of our suffering in West Virginia, the Army Corps of Engineers announced that it had awarded a $94 million contract to provide reliable electricity for Helmand Province, Afghanistan. That’s right – while thousands of West Virginians were without power just a short drive away, the federal government decided it would be a good idea to spend all that money halfway around the world to buy electricity for a country that doesn’t even want our help.
I went to the Senate floor and I let my colleagues know that I am very frustrated and angry about this, and that I’m not going to just sit by and watch Washington treat West Virginia like it’s less important than Afghanistan. Now that West Virginia is officially asking for federal disaster recovery help, I’d like the folks in Washington to hear what you have to say, too.
Add your name to my petition and leave your thoughts for the record on my website.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if you build a bridge in West Virginia, we won’t blow it up. If you build a school, we won’t burn it down. In fact, we’ll be very appreciative. And if you help us invest in a more reliable electric system, we will use that power to make this country stronger, to power this nation’s economy, and to provide good-paying jobs.
I am sorry, Senator Manchin, but — while I am glad you are opposed to further unnecessary expenditures in Afghanistan — I will not support you for re-election. I believe that candidates who espouse, as you do, Republican talking points on energy, the president, climate change, and other matters should be defeated. I will not vote Republican — so I am not planing to vote for you.
I think voters who are tempted by racism or ignorance, or simple misinformation about the future of coal and the its costs/benefits to West Virginia, to vote for you — should really get to enjoy the full consequences of Republican policies you are pursuing — why get it half-baked and stale from you, or Gov. Tomblin for that matter. Get the full dose of political poison!
By the way — I have a radio program on weekday mornings in Shepherdstown. Maybe I have it all wrong! Feel free to call in to WSHC Listen Live line from 8-9 AM Tues thru Friday, 304-876-5369, if you would like to discuss this.
very truly yours,
Host, The Winners and Losers Radio Program
WSHC, 89.7 FM / 897wshc.org
Of course, the odds of Joe Manchin calling into the Winners and Losers radio show are greatly weighted to “no show.” John is correct that this so-called Democrat really seems to be a Republican (as does Earl Ray Tomblin) – from not supporting the President in the Senate to publicly affirming that he will NOT attend the Democratic Convention.
Thanks for making this correspondence public, John.
- I’m really tired of hearing how Obama is costing WV coal jobs. Not True! (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Jay, Manchin ask Obama to OK state disaster request (wvgazette.com)
- Why Joe Manchin Flees From Barack Obama (powerlineblog.com)
- Manchin to skip Democratic National Convention (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Top West Virginia Democrats RSVP ‘No’ to DNC Convention (nymag.com)
- W.Va. Dem brass skipping DNC (politico.com)
- Some Democrats to skip their convention (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Manchin Questions Afghan Aid After Mass Power Outage at Home (wsaz.com)
- Manchin links state storm outages to Afghan aid (wvgazette.com)