How would you like to vote for a felon?
Romney’s stated departure from the company in 1999 was convenient timing—supposedly absolving him of being responsible in any way for companies owned by Bain that went bankrupt or suffered massive layoffs afterward.
” Mitt Romney either lied in federal filings that show he worked at Bain Capital through 2002 and could be guilty of a felony, or has lied to the American people in saying he left the company in 1999. This is serious business.”
– Bob Bauer, the Obama campaign’s counsel
So, if Romney was still at Bain through 2002, he’d be politically responsible for the consequences of deals that the firm made through then… and this could include layoffs from companies Bain took over, or the exporting of jobs to China and India at a time Romney said he was not responsible for the company’s efforts.
The Boston Globe published a story Thursday that calls into question the timeline of Romney’s involvement of the firm that the Republican candidate has been promulgating for years. The Romney campaign ordered the Globe to retract the story. Today the Globe said it wouldn’t. A similar situation has occurred with the Washington Post.
Related articles (and this seems to be a big story all over the place):
- Romney: You Lie! Report: No, YOU Lie! (nymag.com)
- Obama team: Romney committed a felony or lied to voters (politico.com)
- Why Romney’s Quit Date at Bain Matters (theatlanticwire.com)
- In Primary Debate, Romney Suggested He Was At Bain Until 2002 (buzzfeed.com)
- Sorry, Mitt Romney, You Can’t Be Chairman, CEO, And President Of A Company And Not Be Responsible For What It Does… (businessinsider.com)
- Obama campaign: Romney either broke law or lied (washingtontimes.com)
- BOSTON GLOBE: Mitt Romney Left Bain Capital Three Years After He Said He Did (businessinsider.com)
- Obama campaign accuses Romney of lying about Bain tenure (nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com)
- Mitt Romney Responsible for Bain Lay-Offs and Bankruptcies – New Questions about His Bain Departure Date (aquariuschannelings.com)
- Obama Campaign: Romney A Liar, Potential Criminal (buzzfeed.com)
- Obama won’t apologize for staff on Bain (politico.com)
- Called a Liar, Obama Turns Tables on Romney, Bain Capital (usnews.com)
- Obama campaign hits Romney hard on questions over Bain Capital tenure – The Guardian (guardian.co.uk)
- Dems Raise Possibility That Romney Committed A Felony Over Bain Filings (politicker.com)
- Obama campaign: ‘Severe consequences’ if Romney committed felony with Bain lies (rawstory.com)
Posted on July 12, 2012, in budget, Business, campaign, Corporations, crime, Economics, election, ethics, government, history, Legal, Lies, News, Opinion, Politics, President Obama, quote, Word from Bill and tagged Bain, Bain Capital, Barack Obama presidential campaign 2008, Boston Globe, Mitt Romney, Mitt Romney presidential campaign 2008, Romney, Washington Post. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on How would you like to vote for a felon?.