Daily Archives: July 4, 2012
…and I will give you a free gift if you make a donation of $5.00 or more…
…you get “Bill’s Cast O’ Characters” my favorite picture font, based on ornaments and images from the turn of the century Barnhart Brothers and Spindler specimen book and others. This is a font, for Mac or PC, that I usually sell for $29.95 and it’s one of my most requested. It’s my way of saying “Thank You.” If you already have Cast O’ Characters, let me know and I’ll substitute a different one of my picture fonts.
So many of you have been following this blog since 2004 that I feel like a member of a huge web community.
I have enjoyed bringing you the Cartoon(s) of the Week, the Quotes, the Political and Arts News, the Blogrolls of the best sites in America and beyond… They are all a joy to put together. Often we get the breaking political stories before you see them anywhere else. And our wide open communication channels with readers can’t be beat.
I really need YOUR help to keep it going. I’m hoping you will make a small contribution, by PayPal or credit/debit card, in support of Under The LobsterScope. You’d be amazed at how much $5.00 can do to help me bring more and more to these pages. And it is probably the LOWEST annual subscription fee you will make to any publication… interactive or not.
I should note that even a donation of $1.00 gets my thanks and helps to keep this blog going. By clicking on the DONATE button below, you tell me that Under The LobsterScope makes a difference in your time on the web.
– Bill T.
Scientists at the world’s biggest atom smasher have announced the discovery of a brand-new particle—and it looks an awful lot like the long-sought Higgs boson, also known as the “God particle,” without which the universe as we know it wouldn’t exist.
“It is an incredible thing that has happened in my lifetime.”
– Peter Higgs, physicist who theorized the existence of the Higgs boson
According to CERN, the existence of this particle was confirmed in two separate experiments at the Large Hadron Collider—a massive underground particle accelerator that spans the border of France and Switzerland—and there’s less than a one-in-a-million chance that the data is a fluke.
Higgs first proposed the existence of the new particle more than half a century ago to explain a mystery: Why do most elementary particles have mass? Without mass there would be no atoms; no chemistry; no biology—and certainly none of us.
The concept of mass has long been a sticking point in the Standard Model, which describes all known elementary particles, and how they interact.
- CERN discovers Higgs-like boson (physicsworld.com)
- Higgs boson: it’s unofficial! Cern scientists discover missing particle (guardian.co.uk)
- What Finding the Higgs-Boson Means (wired.com)
- Newly Discovered Particle Appears to Be Long-Awaited Higgs Boson (wired.com)
- What is the Higgs boson & what does its discovery mean? (itv.com)
- Particle ‘Consistent’ With Higgs Boson Discovered (news.discovery.com)
- Cern discovers ‘God Particle’ (news.techeye.net)
- Cern Large Hadron Collider scientists hail God particle find (independent.co.uk)
Thanks, Andy. Wish you were still with us… but we have Mitch McConnell instead.
Here we are, in the midst of a heat wave with still over a million of our neighbors in the mid-Atlantic states out of power, and it is the 4th of July.
While not the most pleasant 4th we have had over the past few years, we are happy that the health care law still stands and our population is starting to wise up. Obama‘s numbers are rising, and that’s a positive happening.
So have a nice holiday… but stay out of the heat if you can. We are going to the first plays of the CATF tonight (we have two to see…5:30 and 8:30… and it’s going to be a long night.
- Happy Birthday, America ! Fourth of July 2012 ! (samwarren55.wordpress.com)
- Red, White and Blue It: How to Look Chic on the Fourth of July (fabsugar.com)
- Happy Birthday America!! (theetutor.wordpress.com)
- Happy Birthday, America! (foxnewsinsider.com)
- July 4th Celebration (plaxo.com)