Daily Archives: June 17, 2012
Rodney King, whose videotaped beating by four police officers eventually sparked violent riots in Los Angeles two decades ago, was found dead in his swimming pool by his fiance, Cynthia Kelly. She called 911 at 5:25 am after discovering his body.
King was thrust into the national spotlight in March 1991 after a videotaped assault at the hands of the LAPD made headlines. Four officers were charged with King’s assault and with exessive use of force. Their acquittal on April 29, 1992 led to intense riots in Los Angeles, resulting in 53 deaths.
King fought a life-long battle with alcoholism, and had periodic run-ins with the law since the 1991 incident.
- Rodney King Dead at 47 (12160.info)
- Rodney King dead at 47 (cnn.com)
- R.I.P. Rodney King, 47, Found Dead At The Bottom of A Swimming Pool (bossip.com)
- Rodney King, 47, found dead at home in Rialto (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Rodney King, key figure in LA riots, dies at 47 (sacbee.com)
- RIP Rodney King, 47 Found Dead in Pool (thefabulouslane.wordpress.com)
From Sen. Bernie Sanders:
…you have a Republican mindset that says, hmm, let’s see we can repair the infrastructure, save money long time, and create millions of jobs, bad idea. Barack Obama will look good, and we’ve got to do everything that we can to make Barack Obama look bad, so despite the fact that we had a modest bipartisan transportation bill, roads, bridges, public transit pass the senate with over 70 votes, Inhofe, the most conservative guy in the senate, working with Barbara Boxer, we can’t get that bill moving in the House of Representatives. So if you’re asking me why, I would say hundred percent political. If it’s good for America, if it creates jobs, if it’s good for Barack Obama, we can’t do it.”
Do the Republicans really think if they get Romney elected, the Democrats will not get even for this atrocious activity? The Dems have never filibustered EVERY legislation… but if they lose the Senate, watch them show what they learned from Mitch McConnell ( but watch for them to let REAL joint ventures that benefit Americans pass… Dems just can’t get as malicious as Repubs.)
Then again, the last three and a half years of Republicans’ anti-Obama activity may just become the convincing argument to keep Obama in power AND get back more of Congress.
- Bernie Sanders: “Wall Street drives us into a recession & Mr Romney wants to deregulate them more” (investmentwatchblog.com)
- Sen. Sanders on GOP mindset: If it’s good for America, we can’t do it (rawstory.com)
- Fed Members Gave Their Own Banks $4 Trillion In Secret Bailouts (alexanderhiggins.com)
- Sen. Sanders: Consumers should know if food is genetically modified (rawstory.com)
- Bernie Sanders: “Wall Street drives us into a recession & Mr Romney wants to deregulate them more” (freakoutnation.com)
- Bernie Sanders on the Buffet Rule (educationclearinghouse.wordpress.com)
- Sen. Bernie Sanders blasts economic inequality: This is not what democracy looks like (rawstory.com)
- Bernie Sanders and Friends Plan to Cut Fossil Fuel Subsidies (commondreams.org)
- “Path To Salvation Doesn’t Pass Through Barbarity”: Bernie Sanders Brings The Anti-Austerity Fight to America (mykeystrokes.com)
It’s possible to convince people to want what’s bad for them…
– and –
Chris Weyant at The Hill:
…but sooner or later they won’t buy it…
– and –
… so the Republicans will find another way…
– and –
John Jonik in the Philadelphia Daily News:
…and they will prey on absolute stupidity…
– and –
…unless, of course, if their own party members grow a conscience.