Daily Archives: June 13, 2012
This isn’t the first time I’ve heard a story like this one from Iowa during the last couple of weeks of campaigning.
discussion last Friday morning before his speech at Bayliss Park.
Bauer has made her cafe available to politicians before with no problems:
“With Rick Perry he made a point of stopping in the kitchen before he ever went to the other side to address the public and the media to thank us and introduce himself to us. That’s what I thought we would get here, just normal. This was all out, like you’d think Obama was here.”
Bauer’s issues with the campaigns staffers started the night before when they started staging the cafe for the event.
She described them as “arrogant” and said her cafe was not treated with the respect it deserved.
“Stuff got broke. My table cloths they just got ripped off, wadded up and thrown in the back room,”
The campaign told her to send them an itemized list of anything that was broken, and they would pay for it, but Bauer says that won’t fix everything.
“My dad’s picture, an emblem my dad gave me, it got broke. Those aren’t things you can replace,”
Bauer didn’t even get to meet the candidate she closed half of her restaurant down for.
“Every time we tried to go out or look, secret service was right there.”
She was complaining about the event to a friend when reporters overheard her and posted about it online. Romney apparently saw the post and called Bauer himself. He explained that it was just a misunderstanding that she did not get to meet him, but the phone call didn’t smooth things over for her.
“He responded ‘well, I’m sorry your table cloths got ripped off, wadded up and thrown in the back room’ and I took it as mocking. “We’re the ones he’s wanting to get the votes from, you’d think we would have been treated better.”
She says the whole experience left her wondering:
“With how he treated me, is that how he’s going to treat others? You know, if he gets in office is he going to be that way to us little people?”
But one thing is for sure, she won’t be letting any more politicians through her cafe doors.
- Iowa Cafe Owner Offended by Romney and His Arrogant Staff (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- So Many Plutocrats, So Few Guillotines … (skydancingblog.com)
- Mitt Romney Totally Dissed Two Iowa Restaurant Owners This Morning (businessinsider.com)
- Romney Used Restaurant But Never Spoke to Owners (politicalwire.com)
- The Romney Roundup – June 10th (ireport.cnn.com)
- Mitt Romney has campaign event at Iowa restaurant, snubs owners (dailykos.com)
“Nothing says jobs like transvaginal probes.”
McDonnell, a Republican, would require some women to undergo the invasive procedure before having an abortion. I wonder what he would require of men seeking prostate surgery? Oh… that’s right… nothing.
- md residence = \ (whuu.wordpress.com)
- Bob McDonnell Called ‘Governor Vaginal Probe’ By State Pol (huffingtonpost.com)
- O’Malley on 2012, Romney, Obama and McDonnell (nbc12.wordpress.com)
- Republican War on Women Killing Romney (themoderatevoice.com)
The tragedy of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords’ being shot and one of the more miraculous recovery stories in recent years have led voters in Tucson, AZ to keep Rep. Gabby Giffords’ (D) seat blue yesterday.
Former Giffords staffer Ron Barber defeated Jesse Kelly, Giffords’ last Republican opponent, in a special election to fill Giffords’ seat (Giffords had to resign after the shooting that left her incapacitated and six dead in January, 2011.) Overcoming a 38.4% to 31.4% Republican lean in the AZ-08 district, Barber will now serve out the remainder of Giffords’ term.
Giffords is still in the process of recovering after being shot point-blank in the head, but was able to play a role in the race. She campaigned with barber in the run-up to election day. Democratic-supporting super PAC – the House Majority PAC – seemed to refer to the tragedy in a television ad focused on Kelly that ran in the district. The PAC also ran ads highlighting Kelly’s extreme views. Kelly — who was the controversial tea party candidate in 2010 — was forced to defend his political postions in the race as well and Barber’s campaign said he ran on his own merits.
- Ron Barber, former Giffords aide, wins In Giffords’ old district (news.yahoo.com)
- Democrats hold on to Arizona seat vacated by Gabrielle Giffords (guardian.co.uk)
- Arizona Democrats hold on to Giffords’ congressional seat (nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com)
- Former Giffords aide wins election to finish her term (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Giffords’ ex-aide wins race in Arizona to succeed her – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Arizona Voters Choose Giffords’s Replacement (nytimes.com)
- Former Giffords aide to be her successor (mysanantonio.com)
- Ex-Giffords Aide Ron Barber Wins Special Election (newser.com)
- Former Giffords aide Barber wins race to replace her in the House (thehill.com)