Daily Archives: June 9, 2012
Former recruit Fishel Litzman of Monsey said he was fired on Friday after multiple confrontations with the department over the length of his beard.
“I am being disciplined only because I maintain my religious beliefs and observances.”
Isaac Abraham, an activist in Brooklyn’s Hasidic communities, said it was a shame that allowances couldn’t be made for Litzman’s beard. The NYPD’s chief spokesman insisted they made every attempt to accommodate Litzman.
“They knew from when he took the exam and applied that he would not trim his beard. He said from the outset it was a matter of religious observance. He never made a secret of it.”
- Hasidic Jew fired from NYPD over beard length (news.yahoo.com)
- Hasidic Jew claims NYPD fired him over beard length (foxnews.com)
- Hasidic Jew fired from NYPD over beard length (wtvm.com)
- Hasidic Jew fired from NYPD over beard length (kansascity.com)
- Hasid Fired From NYPD For Not Cutting Beard (alan.com)
- NYPD fires Orthodox Jew over beard length (timesofisrael.com)
… and now they want to see to it that Catherine Greig, 61 year old girlfriend to the 82 year old Bulger, is sentenced to 10 years for harboring a fugitive and a number of other charges. Although the charges Greig faces could result in a maximum of 15 years in prison, prosecutors have said she could get as little as 32 months. The prosecution recommended a longer prison term and asked that Greig pay a $150,000 fine.
Bulger, who gained his reputation as head of Boston’s Winter Hill Gang, was captured last year and has yet to be brought to Federal Court. He had covered his tracks during his career by working as an FBI informant, but used the information he gained in that role to commit a number of murders of his competitors in the crime world. He fled in late 1994 when an FBI agent told him he was about to be indicted.
According to prosecutors, Bulger and Greig spent the first year on the run posing as a married couple, traveling to Chicago, New York and Louisiana. They settled in Santa Monica, where they lived in a rent-controlled apartment not far from the Pacific Ocean. Behind a secret wall in the two-bedroom apartment, Bulger stashed 30 weapons and more than $820,000 in cash.
- ‘Whitey’ Bulger’s girlfriend, Catherine Greig, faces 10 years prison (abclocal.go.com)
- Victim’s kin: Lock up Greig for decade (bostonherald.com)
- US seeks decade sentence for Mass. mobster’s lover (newsobserver.com)
- ‘Whitey’ Bulger’s Girlfriend Set to Plead (abcnews.go.com)
- Ex-mob boss Howie Winter arrested (bostonherald.com)
… and I bought a copy yesterday at my favorite bookstore (The Four Seasons, in Shepherdstown WV). I have to admit I received a discount since I had a $5.00 certificate which I won playing a riddle quiz on WSHC on Thursday morning, but I would have bought it anyway.
Krugman thinks the country’s economic problems are solvable, and he uses his book to lead us to the solutions.
“We didn’t have a plague of locusts, we were not hit by a tsunami, there wasn’t some act of God that created this terrible situation. It was acts of man.”
“The New York Times Book Review is run by Sam Tanenhaus, who is very much a neocon, and makes a point whenever a progressive comes out with a book to find someone who will attack it. It’s not really an attack, but the reviewer is shocked at the lack of respect I show for ‘highly respected people,’ I think he uses that phrase.”
Another thing Krugman said, which may show up on my Quotes of the Decade series:
“If you don’t know multiple people who are suffering, then you must be living in a very rarefied environment… you must be maybe a member of the Romney clan, or something.”
- Ben Bernanke’s Office Phone Number Given Out at Netroots Nation Keynote (news.firedoglake.com)
- President of Estonia Goes Ballistic on Paul Krugman (economicpolicyjournal.com)
- Estonian President Explains His Twitter Tiff With Paul Krugman (politicker.com)
- Paul Krugman: Reagan Was a Keynesian (economistsview.typepad.com)
- Paul Krugman on why austerity is a recipe for ten more years of a Depression. (americablog.com)
- Paul Krugman Demolishes Conservatives At Night, Too (polentical.com)
- Brittan on Krugman on Keynesianism (cafehayek.com)
- Krugman and Stiglitz: Our Most Widely Ignored Public Intellectuals (economistsview.typepad.com)
“This is certainly the most anti-business administration since the Carter years. At least you can say this for President Carter, he was largely incompetent. This administration has actually done a lot of damage to the country.”
“The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president.”
- Mitch McConnell Thinks President Obama ‘Needs To Act Like An Adult’ (crooksandliars.com)
- McConnell: Obama’s views on economy ‘baffling’ (politico.com)
- Mitch McConnell Votes Against Highway Bill He Said He’d Work To Pass (thinkprogress.org)
- Senator McConnell responds to Obama’s briefing: ‘the President is totally disconnected from reality’ (twitchy.com)
- McConnell: I’m Filibustering Seventeen Judges Because Reid Made Republicans ‘Look Bad’ (thinkprogress.org)