Daily Archives: June 6, 2012
By giving you a free gift if you support this blog with $5.00 or more…
…you get “Bill’s Tropical DECOrations” a great image font, based on ornaments and images from popular catalogs of the period. This is a font, for Mac or PC, that I usually sell for $29.95 and it’s one of my most requested. It’s my way of saying “Thank You.” If you already have Tropical DECOrations, let me know and I’ll substitute a different one of my picture fonts.
So many of you have been following this blog since 2004 that I feel like a member of a huge web community.
I have enjoyed bringing you the Cartoon(s) of the Week, the Quotes, the Political and Arts News, the Blogrolls of the best sites in America and beyond… They are all a joy to put together. Often we get the breaking political stories before you see them anywhere else. And our wide open communication channels with readers can’t be beat.
I really need YOUR help to keep it going. I’m hoping you will make a small contribution, by PayPal or credit/debit card, in support of Under The LobsterScope. You’d be amazed at how much $5.00 can do to help me bring more and more to these pages. And it is probably the LOWEST annual subscription fee you will make to any publication… interactive or not.
I should note that even a donation of $1.00 gets my thanks and helps to keep this blog going. By clicking on the DONATE button below, you tell me that Under The LobsterScope makes a difference in your time on the web.
– Bill T.
“I don’t think it would have made the difference. But it’s kind of like Thanksgiving at your in-laws. If you go, it doesn’t guarantee it’s going to be fun, but if you don’t go there’s going to be hell to pay.”
Of course, I find myself often agreeing with Paul Begala… and I wish more Democrats would listen to him.
- a message from Paul Begala … Stand Up For President Obama (point4counterpoint.wordpress.com)
- Paul Begala on Obama and Romney: Elitists for President – The Daily Beast (tribuneofthepeople.com)
He took us into the future and then farther into the future. He showed us where our politics and lifestyles could take us in books like “Fahrenheit 451.” He created a whole civilization and then related it to the Cold War in “The Martian Chronicles.” He created a monumental body of books, film, television and theater…so much that it is hard to conceive of one man writing it all.
But he did.
Did you know he scripted the 1956 film version of “Moby Dick?” Or that he was a regular writer for “The Twilight Zone?” Or that his work has been published in over 30 languages? Or that he wrote about 600 short stories which appeared in more than 1000 school textbooks?
And his approach to work:
“Don’t think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It’s self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can’t try to do things. You simply must do things.
– Ray Bradbury
Bradbury was our science fiction evangelist and we will miss him… but we are so happy that he left so much amazing work behind. Rest in Peace, Ray.
- “Zero Hour,” Ray Bradbury, 1947 (jennre.wordpress.com)
- Film: Newswire: Ray Bradbury’s From The Dust Returned may become a movie (avclub.com)
- Books That Changed my Life: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (caracaleo.com)
- Ray Bradbury on Doing What You Love and Reading as a Prerequisite of Democracy (brainpickings.org)
- Ray Bradbury on Facing Rejection … and Being Inspired by Snoopy (theatlantic.com)
- At What Temperature Does an eBook Burn? (cultofmac.com)
- like fish laid out on the grass | Fahrenheit 451 (mosthopeful.com)
- Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451 & The People’s Tyranny (idpm.wordpress.com)
We wake up to disappointing news from Wisconsin:
|Walker , Scott (i)||GOP||1,331,076||53%|
|Barrett , Tom||Dem||1,158,337||46%|
While Barrett took the cities (where there has been the strongest action by the Walker Administration to
eliminate Union influence), Scott Walker took everything else.
There is some other news, however. One of the State Senate seats previously held by Republicans was filled by a Democrat,thus bringing a new majority to that body. This may help prevent more of Walker.s cutting actions in the next couple of years.
Dismal morning… I’m going back to bed.
- Republican Scott Walker Wins Wisconsin Recall Election (mediaite.com)
- Barrett vs. Walker – Wisconsin’s Recall Fiasco (socyberty.com)
- Voter suppression by “Walker allies” or last-minute, uncheckable smear by Barrett people? (althouse.blogspot.com)