Starting the day with a quote about Trump…
Frank Rich has the answer:
“There is no more naked celebrity in America than Donald Trump. He doesn’t do subtlety. He doesn’t do ‘thought.’ To say he has a political calculus is a wild overstatement. His strategy amounts to no more than junior high school algebra. The equation is: Trump + infantile public statement x infinite repetitions on TV and Twitter = maximum publicity for flailing Trump products and insatiable Trump ego.”
Rich also has a warning for Romney concerning the Trump fundraiser:
If you will fly to Vegas for a one-night-stand with a bleach-bottle bimbo, you look as if you will do anything for money.
And that is apparently true.
…there’s a reason why they can’t ditch each other — and why Romney won’t create his own “Sister Souljah moment,” dumping Trump to win over the swing voters who’ve lost faith in President Obama but don’t buy into Trump’s ongoing birther crusade.
It’s simple, actually. Romney’s earnest demeanor might not mesh with Trump’s headline-grabbing persona, but they’re more alike than you might think — and in different ways, they need each other’s help to take on Obama.
For one thing, they both got their start the old-fashioned way: from their dads. Trump’s left him a growing real estate empire, and Romney’s father-governor of Michigan and secretary of housing and urban development was the CEO of American Motors. They both spend a lot of time bragging about their business chops, but neither one gives Obama credit for making millions on his own.
They’re also both brand-new “conservatives.” These days, they rail against the perils of Obamacare, but Romney is the godfather of the individual mandate, and in his 12-year-old manifesto, “The America We Deserve,” Trump argued for universal health care — positions that both hope the public will forget.
- “Bringing The Sideshow Into The Circus”: Why The Media Is Giving Romney A Pass On Trump’s Birtherism (mykeystrokes.com)
- Will birther rant by Donald ‘Skunk Hair’ Trump be a problem for Romney? (thesunnews.typepad.com)
- Donald Trump rages in CNN meltdown over Obama ‘birther’ issue (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Mitt Romney Will Not ‘Repudiate’ Donald Trump For Birther Views (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Donald Trump just can’t stop himself. And neither can Mitt Romney. (dailykos.com)
- Quote of the Day: George Will on Donald Trump’s Apparent Political Best Bud Donald Trump (themoderatevoice.com)
Posted on May 31, 2012, in Business, campaign, Corporations, Economics, election, ethics, Finance, funny, government, Lies, News, Opinion, Politics, President Obama, quote, Television, Word from Bill and tagged BarackObama, Donald Trump, Mitt Romney, Obama, Republican, Romney, Sister Souljah moment, Trump. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.