Daily Archives: May 11, 2012
… or this – an overview of the Republicans’ desires in the coming election:
… or this – which I dedicate to my doggie boys, Byron and Nestle:
There… glad to get these out of my “hold on to” file.
Do you remember Jefferson’s ideal that “all men are created equal” and have “certain unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?” Right… it’s in the Declaration of Independence… the document upon which our democracy has been constructed.
Republicans do not embrace equal rights for all Americans… their drive to subject women to inequality and discrimination is only matched by their punitive actions to restrict gays from marrying or even having a civil union with the partner they love..
The opposition to gay marriage is based solely in religious dogma, and by legislating against same-sex marriage, Republicans are sanctioning religious discrimination laws that are, at the least, unconstitutional. Republicans claim that not following the Christian prohibition on homosexuality threatens traditional marriage, destroys children, and will lead to America’s demise, but they have no evidence to support any of their claims.
Conservative republicans’ media outlets, Fox News and Rush Limbaugh, advocate this inequality and discrimination and emboldens homophobic Americans to renounce the rights of all citizens for gays. Giving the gay community the right to marry is not only about ending social discrimination, it also means the end of financial penalties for being gay…for instance, the ability to have “married status” on federal income tax returns.
Is our freedom for all Americans? For some Americans? Fort rich Americans? For Religious Americans? – I hope it is for EVERYONE and no backsies.
- Another Time In History (catsnjammer64.wordpress.com)
- Moran Applauds President’s Support of Gay Marriage (arlnow.com)
- Should America legalise gay marriage? (4l2012.wordpress.com)
- Bill Donohue: ‘I Want The Law To Discriminate’ Against Same-Sex Couples (thinkprogress.org)
- Utahns weigh in on Obama support for same-sex marriage ()
- Unions Back Obama’s Stand for Marriage Equality (talkingunion.wordpress.com)
- Obama criticizes Romney as ‘backwards on equality’ (onlineathens.com)
- Daily Show traces the evolution of Fox’s same sex marriage talking points (rawstory.com)
- Poll: O.C. Democrats favor federal gay marriage (totalbuzz.ocregister.com)