Once again, I am embarrassed to live in West Virginia.
I have said many times in this blog that, with the exception of Shepherdstown and most of the Eastern Panhandle, I dislike being identified with West Virginia. Whether it is a supposedly Democratic senator who acts and votes like a Republican (Manchin) or the hillbilly stereotype other states see us as, being in West Virginia is no place for a liberal. We are victims of tons of jokes told in other states, like:
Q. Why do ducks fly over West Virginia upside down?
A. There’s nothing worth crapping on!
Well, we topped ourselves again, In yesterday’s Democratic primary, a man in prison in Texas got 4 out of 10 votes for the Presidential nomination.
Keith Judd, is serving time at the Beaumont Federal Correctional Institution in Texas for making threats at the University of New Mexico in 1999. Obama received 59 percent of the vote to Judd’s 41 percent. He got on the ballot by paying a $2,500 fee (don’t know who paid it for him…but I am not surprised that some West Virginian did) and filing a form known as a notarized certification of announcement with the Secretary of State’s office.
Interviewing a WV resident, the AP published a statement:
“I voted against Obama,” said Ronnie Brown, a 43-year-old electrician from Cross Lanes who called himself a conservative Democrat. “I don’t like him. He didn’t carry the state before and I’m not going to let him carry it again.”
When asked which presidential candidate he voted for, Brown said, “That guy out of Texas.”
Now it’s a question whether Judd will have a representative at the Democratic National Convention (15% of the vote or more usually gets you a rep.)
So, West Virginia has embarrassed me once again. Where will it end?
- Against Obama, even a jailbird gets some votes (hosted.ap.org)
- ELECTION 2012: Texas Inmate Gets 40% of Vote against Obama in West Virginia Democratic Primary (pumabydesign001.com)
- 42% Of West Virginia Democrats Vote For Federal Inmate In Presidential Primary (theamericanteaman.com)
- Federal Prisoner Nabs 40% of Early Vote Against Obama in West Virginia Primary (treeofmamre.wordpress.com)
- Federal Prisoner Gives Obama A Run For His Money In West Virginia, May Earn Delegates At Convention (mediaite.com)
- OBAMA LOSES WEST VIRGINIA DELEGATES TO PRISON INMATE – Unexpectedly! “An obscure federal prison inm… (pjmedia.com)
- Federal inmate’s sizable West Virginia presidential vote tally (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Manchin wins Democratic primary in West Virginia, CNN projects (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- President Obama embarrassed by inmate No. 11593-051 (twitchy.com)
Posted on May 9, 2012, in Announcement, campaign, Education, election, ethics, event, Finance, funny, government, Legal, News, Opinion, Politics, President Obama, primaries, quote, Racism, Rural, vote, Word from Bill and tagged Barack Obama, Conservative Democrat, Democratic, Obama, Ronnie Brown, Texas, University of New Mexico, West Virginia. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.