Daily Archives: May 4, 2012
Who? What? Ted Kaczynski? And other billboards with Charles Manson and Fidel Castro. Coming soon are billboards featuring Osama bin Laden and James J. Lee (who took hostages inside the headquarters of the Discovery Channel in 2010).
What nutjobs are responsible for this terrific promotional campaign showing us how science proves there is no Global Warming? Why, The Heartland Institute, a 28-year-old organization whose mission is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems.
And, of course, to create the kind of stimulating, educational pieces like these billboards.
Heartland also produces books and brochures with titles like Climate Change Weekly: New York Times Misrepresents Global Warming Surveys and EPA Official Says Goal Is to ‘Crucify’ Oil and Natural Gas Companies, all of which seem to be written by noted scientist James M. Taylor, J.D. Senior Fellow and Managing Editor, Environment and Climate News. (J.D. is that a scientific degree or a law degree?) Their Science Director is Dr. Jay Lehr, author of recent articles like Nuclear Fears Trumping Reality in Wake of Fukushima and An Open Letter to the Oil and Gas Industry: The Ethical Case for Fracking. Hmmm, support of Nuclear Industry and Hydrofracturing (Fracking).
Needless to say, given their support of corporations over individual citizens, my guess is that they will be advising Romney and the Republicans.
- These Insane Billboards Use The Unabomber And Osama Bin Laden As Arguments Against Global Warming (businessinsider.com)
- Will Heartland Institute’s Corporate Funders Tacitly Endorse Comparing Climate Realists to bin Laden and the Unabomber? (desmogblog.com)
- Heartland Institute New Ad Campaign Associates Climate Science Advocates With Serial Killers (bradblog.com)
- Heartland Institute Compares Climate Science Believers And Reporters To Mass ‘Murderers And Madmen’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Green Blog: A New Tactic in the Climate Wars (green.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Heartland Billboards on Climate Change. The Dangerous Ignorance of Ideology (bigthink.com)
- Heartland Institute: ‘Not All Global Warming Alarmists Are Murderers’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Heartland Institute launches campaign comparing climate change ‘believers’ to murderers, tyrants (dailykos.com)
He doesn’t seem to know much about the history of labor and the monthly creation of new jobs.
Obama just announced an increase in jobs by 115,000 in April. Romney’s comment:
“We should be seeing numbers in the 500,000 jobs per month,” Mitty said on “Fox & Friends.” “This is way, way, way off from what should happen in a normal recovery.”
It could be that Romney doesn’t know what a “normal recovery” has as monthly jobs growth. During George W. Bush‘s presidency, there was never a single month in which job growth topped 400,000, let alone 500,000, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics. Think Progress pointed out:
“there have only been 16 months since 1939” in which the economy added half a million jobs in one month.
Obama inherited a more severe recession than Bush (and, of course, he inherited it FROM Bush), which meant that he had a greater need for a quick and pronounced recovery. Also, as Bush was dealing with the bursting of the dot.com bubble, September 11th happened, further elongating the timeline for recovery.
And yet, by strictly numerical measures, Obama at this point is doing better than Bush… so somebody should point this out to “Mr. Business”.
if the Obama team is any good, and I think they are, they are going to spend every penny they can spend, every squirreled away billion is going to hit the economy. if it is possible for us to have a recovery summer, this will be the summer we get it. of course it can’t be done without fingerprints and Republicans will all squeal like a stepped on cat every time a dollar gets spent. President Obama won’t be able to have an extra squirt of creamer in his coffee without being accused of juicing the economy. so that will be our long boring political summer. to the extent that anyone pays attention it’ll be a long boring political summer that Democrats win.