Daily Archives: April 25, 2012
Although it has passed the Tennessee Senate and House, Governor Bill Haslam hasn’t yet said where he stands on the bill (HB3517) which marks the second change in the last couple of years to a 1989 law making it a crime to kill a “viable fetus.” Last year they cut the word “viable.”
The bill marks the second change in two years to a law that since 1989 had it a crime to cause the death of a “viable fetus.” That was changed last year to eliminate the word “viable.”
It seems, however, that under the scientific definition of a fetus, the term only applies when eight weeks or more has passed since conception. Adding “embryo” covers from the moment of conception. Sen. Mae Beavers (R), the sponsor, got the text of the law changed.
Should this bill get signed by Haslam, Tennessee will be the go-to state for religious extremism. And maybe embryos will get tax deductions.
As to women’s rights, does this make a miscarriage a crime?
- Women in Tennessee Who Naturally Miscarry Could be Charged With Murder (sayitaintsoalready.com)
- Tennessee House Passes Bill To Allow Criminal Prosecution For Harming Embryos (thinkprogress.org)
- Tennessee Conservative Backed Bill Could Criminalize Natural Miscarriages (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Tennessee Senate Approves Bill To Warn Students That Hand-Holding Is A ‘Gateway Sexual Activity’ (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- Tennessee set to roll back quality of science education (realthinktank.com)
- Tennessee “Monkey Bill” Becomes Law and Science Education There Backslides (skepticalteacher.wordpress.com)
…according to CNN. It’s expected he will formally endorse Romney on that day as well.
Having come up very low in the five primaries yesterday, Mitt is looking at no more money to survive with and no viable reason to stay in the race (even though he promised not to pull out before the convention.