Daily Archives: April 18, 2012
Dick Clark, creator of “American Bandstand” and other television programs, had a heart attack Wednesday morning at Saint John’s hospital in Santa Monica, CA, a day after he was admitted for an outpatient procedure.
For a time in the 1980s, he had shows on all three networks and was listed among the Forbes 400 of wealthiest Americans. Clark also was part of radio as partner in the United Stations Radio Networks, which provided programs – including Clark’s – to thousands of stations.
The original “American Bandstand” ran for thirty years on ABC’s daytime lineup beginning in 1957. Before that the show was a local program in Philadelphia. In his 1958 hit “Sweet Little Sixteen,” Chuck Berry sang that “they’ll be rocking on Bandstand, Philadelphia, P-A.”
- Dick Clark dies at age 82 (local10.com)
- Dick Clark Dead at 82 (eonline.com)
- ‘American Bandstand’ Host Dick Clark Dead at 82 (wnyc.org)
- Dick Clark, Legendary Producer, Has Died (npr.org)
- Dick Clark, TV music pioneer was 82 (laobserved.com)
- TV legend Dick Clark dies at 82 (kansascity.com)