Daily Archives: April 16, 2012
Mitt Romney wants to shut down or amalgamate several US government departments if elected president, but has no plans to tell voters which ones in advance of November’s general election. However, he told some wealthy campaign donors yesterday at a Florida fundraiser when an NBC reporter caught some live comments on tape:
“I’m going to take a lot of departments in Washington, and agencies, and combine them. Some eliminate, but I’m probably not going to lay out just exactly which ones are going to go.
“Things like Housing and Urban Development, which my dad was head of, that might not be around later. But I’m not going to actually go through these one by one. What I can tell you is, we’ve got far too many bureaucrats. I will send a lot of what happens in Washington back to the states.”
When he says “far too many bureaucrats” that he wants to get rid of, remember Harry Truman‘s very old comment:
He does seem to be planning to destroy the Education Department and many of the offices that support all those things we of the middle class depend on. If this is what you are looking for in a President from the 1%, then he pretty much admits that’s what he will be.
- I Won’t Tell You Which Departments I’ll Eliminate (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- The Romneys Accidentaly Told the Truth at a Private Fundraiser, and the Media Was Eavesdropping (slog.thestranger.com)
- First Thoughts: Romney’s own hot-mic moment (firstread.msnbc.msn.com)
- Romney offers policy details at closed-door fundraiser (firstread.msnbc.msn.com)
- “Don’t Tell Anybody”: Romney Offers A Peek Behind The Policy Curtain (mykeystrokes.com)
“Every time I go into either some kind of a bar in a hotel where there’s a live pianist or into a restaurant where they are changing their music according to who walks in the door … it’s thrilling for people to ‘surprise’ me with the Celine Dion song.”
I guess this is a particularly bad week for Winslet (hey, does she get royalties?).
- Kate Winslet Heads Out in London Ahead of a Titanic Premiere (popsugar.com)
- Video: Kate Winslet Won’t Watch Her Titanic Nude Scenes in 3D: “I’ll Be in the Bar!” (popsugar.com)
- Kate Winslet hates ‘My Heart Will Go On’ (popbytes.com)
- My Heart Will Go On Song Makes Kate Winslet Feel Sick! (lukewilliamsgossip.wordpress.com)
- Kate Winslet Gets SICK Over My Heart Will Go On! (perezhilton.com)