Advanced Sex Education Legislation in Utah…
House Bill 363 passed with a vote of 19-10.
After the new bill goes into effect, the teaching of sex education in Utah classrooms has to be about not having sex before marriage and fidelity within marriage. Teachers cannot advocate the use of contraceptives anymore and they cannot talk about homosexuality, even if asked by a student.
I always thought students learned things by asking questions. So if they have a question about gay marriage, or why do contraceptives exist anyway, their teachers will not be allowed to answer them.
This means at least one of two things:
1. by not learning answers to common questions, students will learn from other, not always accurate sources.
2. by being young and prone to experiment, students will try out experiences to see why they are being banned from education.
Utah… that’s Mormon country,no? Does Romney support this unfortunate bill? I guess he must, given his most recent campaign statements on birth control.
- Utah passes Abstinence-only sex ed bill, Bans talking about homosexuality and contraceptives in schools (queerlandia.com)
- Utah Passes Abstinence-Only Sex Education Bill; Bans Discussion of Homosexuality and Contraceptives: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Utah Ditches Sex Education (lezgetreal.com)
- Utahns say lawmakers went too far, call for veto of sex ed bill ()
- Utah Goes Back To The Victorian Era (ken_ashford.typepad.com)
- Utah Senate Passes Abstinence Only Bill (haleybehre.wordpress.com)
- Utah passes bill banning sex education – how long till teen pregnancies skyrocket? (bazaardaily.com)
- Why Utah’s Anti-Sex-Ed Bill May Backfire (livescience.com)
Posted on March 11, 2012, in Announcement, campaign, crime, editorial, Education, ethics, event, Family, government, Health Care, News, Opinion, Politics, Press, quote, Religion, sex, Television, Word from Bill and tagged Abstinence-only sex education, Salt Lake City, Sex education, Utah. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off.