Daily Archives: September 29, 2011
Belief and politics
I read somewhere, very recently, that an acknowledged atheist in our society, no matter how qualified or politically necessary, can never be elected President. Damn… there go all my hopes for the future.
Perhaps the majority of voters think we need a god to keep the world at peace, or feed the hungry, or raise the poor from the economic miasma.
And what about giving us an edge on foreign religions? Hell, don’t they believe in the god as well?
And what about the conflict between religion and science? Don’t we need science for civilization to progress? And don’t we need to reinforce education, rather than lay off teachers, to promote science?
And the Arts?
It seems, though, that the fundamental beliefs of the atheist in human development and responsibility are meaningless when compared to the beliefs of the prayer-meeting politician.
I signed a petition this week to have “Under God” removed from the Pledge of Allegiance. I’d sure like to see “in God We Trust” taken off our money. Neither is likely to happen.
I know the rich keep getting richer while the poor trust in a god to lift them up to a mythical “next life.” The don’t see that they are being used… kept in their place by that upper class.
Now, I CAN’T take advantage of the poor. I’m what’s called in NYC an “Ethical Humanist.” It doesn’t make me much of a political guy in West Virginia… but, at least, I can live with myself.
- What is an Atheist? (anythingbuttheist.blogspot.com)
- False Arguments for Atheism (dontfeedtheanimals.net)
- The Archbishop of Canterbury is Right: Atheists *Are* Cool (patheos.com)
- Pat Condell: In Superstition We Trust (milkandcookies.com)
- Do We Really Trust in God? (crossexaminedblog.com)
- The Pledge of Allegiance Petition (patheos.com)
- John Gray: religion isn’t about truth (and science ain’t so hot, either) (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- Believe in mad rubbish because it’s good for you (freethoughtblogs.com)
- 10 Popular Myths About Atheists and Atheism by Amanda Marcotte (lennymaysay.wordpress.com)
- Check out the Secular Video Network (atheistrev.com)
- Thoughts on Troy Davis: Americans Confuse Morality with Religion (crooksandliars.com)