Daily Archives: August 23, 2011
And I didn’t feel it!
When it hit I was driving up the long, bumpy dirt road to the Folly which always has the feeling that the earth is moving when you bump along on it. But when I pulled into the Folly, Bradley and Carol had just come out of their house which had been shaking for a few seconds and Ben Snyder, who was working at the shops, felt it as he put together Carnival stuff.
The news says it was a 5.9 on the Richter scale (other reports say 5.8) and they are expecting smaller aftershocks over the next few weeks, perhaps at a 4.8 on the scale.
We are apparently over something called the Virginia Fault. It is about 4.5 miles down and is in the midst of the shale deposits that run up through the Appalachians, so any quake reverberates up and down the geographic mass.
The last time we had a quake of this magnitude here was in the 1890’s… and we had a much smaller one in 2010.
Life, however, goes on… and this was much more fun than covering Republicans.
- Celebrities tweet about East Coast earthquake (popwatch.ew.com)
- What to do after an earthquake? (pennlive.com)
- Twitter explodes as 5.9 magnitude earthquake hits Virginia, Washington D.C., NYC (digitaltrends.com)
- [News]: Earthquake Rocks East Coast (buzz103.radio.com)
- DC quake turns off two nuclear reactors (rt.com)
- Earthquake hits Eastern Seaboard; tweets spread faster than tremors (zdnet.com)