Daily Archives: July 25, 2011
Beginning the last few days of July and waiting for this @#^&* Congress to do something about the debt ceiling…
Posted by btchakir
We’re getting awfully close to that August 2d Deadline (1 week from tomorrow) and it doesn’t look like the House and the Senate AND the White House can get together on ANYTHING (especially without using whatever they do as a 2012 election strategy event.)
I’m beginning to hope none of these clowns ever get elected again and we return the country to King George the Third and let him raise the ceiling (what? He’s dead? Crap!)
Doing some history research, I came across the book “Democracy for the Few” by Michael Parenti which was published in 2008 and updated in 2010 (incidentally he gets into my personal peeve of Monsanto with it’s poisoned farmlands and manipulated seedlings in his section on the corporatization of the country.) Taking us back to the Founding Fathers and the Constitutional Convention, Parenti shows us that things are not so different now as they were then… the control of proceedings was held by the wealthy who responded with fear when demands were made by the masses, and gave in as little as possible:
… or, to put it more bluntly, the rich used politics to manipulate the people.
So the Republicans now want a plan which raises no taxes and which will be debated, without solving the problems, right up to the elections at the end of 2012, meanwhile ruining our credit and bond ratings with other countries (and with Social Security which it could conceivably wipe out since the surplus funding we are told over and over again will hold Social Security safe until 2035 in the same Federal Bonds which are being devalued.
Obama has done more than the Republicans, and much more than his Democratic allies, to move to the center and find concessions which would help all levels of our society. Democrats have tried negotiating from Biden’s committee on down only to be faced with opposite leadership walkouts (“I’m taking my bat and going home”) and regular upping of the agreeable compromises (btw, there are NO agreeable compromises here.) Republicans seem to have two needs to fill here: 1. Support their Corporate Funders, and 2. Make sure Obama is not reelected in 2012. In other words, to hell with the American society.
I don’t know what entertainment is forthcoming on C-Span 1&2 this week… I don’t know if I can watch any more of this.
- White House: Debt Ceiling Talks Moving Into ‘Difficult Days’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- The Phony Debt Ceiling Debate (jonathanturley.org)
- Hitting the Debt Ceiling Is Not the End of the World (dakotavoice.com)
- Politics Of Fear and Social Security… (nostone2011.wordpress.com)
- 8 Charts You Must see To Discuss The Debt Ceiling (businessinsider.com)
- “Super Congress” of 12 Proposed As Solution to Debt Ceiling Impasse (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Boehner ends debt talks with Obama (money.cnn.com)
- Get Rid of the Debt Ceiling (localpaper.wordpress.com)
- S&P: Dark Scenario For US (247wallst.com)
- John Boehner Debt Ceiling Plan To Be Unveiled Monday (huffingtonpost.com)
- Did Obama refuse a bipartisan deal on the debt ceiling? (hotair.com)
Posted in Books, Business, campaign, Congress, Corporations, Economics, Education, election, ethics, event, Finance, government, history, Legal, News, Opinion, Politics, President Obama, quote, Taxes, vote, Warning, Word from Bill