Suppose you were killing weeds in your garden and producing birth defects, too.
Monsanto‘s Roundup, which has been associated with deformities in a host of laboratory animals, may have a similar impact on humans.. One laboratory study done in France in 2005 found that Roundup and glyphosate caused the death of human placental cells and abnormal embryonic cells. Another study, conducted in 2009, found that Roundup caused total cell death in human umbilical, embryonic and placental cells within 24 hours. Yet researchers have conducted few follow-up studies.
“Obviously there’s a limit to what’s appropriate in terms of testing poison on humans, but if you look at the line of converging evidence, it points to a serious problem. And if you look at the animal feeding studies with genetically modified Roundup ready crops, there’s a consistent theme of reproductive disorders, which we don’t know the cause for because follow-up studies have not been done.
“More independent research is needed to evaluate the toxicity of Roundup and glyphosate and the evidence that has already accumulated is sufficient to raise a red flag.”
– Jeffrey Smith, executive director of the Institute for Responsible Technology
We have been critical of Monsanto for soft-peddling Roundup, as have members of the scientific community. In 1996 New York State’s Attorney General sued Monsanto for describing Roundup as “environmentally friendly” and “safe as table salt” (although I don’t think anyone from Monsanto would sprinkle Roundup on their spaghetti.) Monsanto, while not admitting any wrongdoing, agreed to stop using the terms for promotional purposes and paid New York state $250,000 to settle the suit.
Roundup Ready seeds are now proliferating 80 % or more of the seed market (if you don’t believe me try purchasing a heritage corn seed at any major supplier like Home Depot or Lowe’s. While they are occasionally there, most products are Monsanto GMO seeds that are Roundup Ready.) Driving by fields and fields of weed-free Roundup Ready corn yesterday, I rolled up my car windows so as not to breathe in any of this crap.
- If You buy ROUND UP you are helping to build Monsanto’s income while destroying our agriculture. (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Monsanto product causes birth defects in humans (theramblingsofateenagegirl.wordpress.com)
- Media Silence on Disturbing New Evidence About Monsanto’s Roundup (friendseat.com)
- Educate yourself – learn about Monsanto, GMO foods and industry lobbying… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Roundup Birth Defects: Regulators Knew World’s Best-Selling Herbicide Causes Problems, New Report Finds (worldtruthtoday.com)
- Monsanto Chemical Shown to Cause Infertility and Super Weeds (worldtruthtoday.com)
- Modern-Day Earth Angels (marieclaire.com)
- World’s Top Commercial Weed Killer Linked to Infertility (misbehavedwoman.wordpress.com)
- Heading for the last Roundup? (pdalbury.wordpress.com)
- Monstanto Buys Influence In Universities (misbehavedwoman.wordpress.com)
- More problems with glyphosate for US rice growers (genomega1.wordpress.com)
- GMOs Linked to Organ Disruption in 19 Studies (worldtruthtoday.com)
- “Roundup Birth Defects: Regulators Knew World’s Best-Selling Herbicide Causes Problems, New Report Finds” and related posts (markcrispinmiller.com)
Posted on June 24, 2011, in Announcement, Business, Corporations, crime, Economics, Education, election, ethics, Family, food, government, Health Care, history, Legal, Lies, News, Opinion, Organic Gardening, Politics, quote, Science, Technology, Veganism, vote, Warning, Word from Bill and tagged France, Genetically modified organism, Glyphosate, Monsanto, Purdue University, Roundup, Tom Vilsack, United States Environmental Protection Agency. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.