Do cell phones cause brain cancer?
Here we go again. This time the question of whether mobile phones can give users brain cancer has come up once again from a group of international researchers that examined dozens of studies. They say the answer is maybe. From Portfolio.com:
A statement issued Tuesday from the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) says that mobile phones are “possibly carcinogenic,” and although the link between cell phones and cancer is “not clearly established” it also cannot be ruled out. Mobiles may be linked to a type of brain cancer called glioma, according to the research conducted by a group of 31 experts that have been meeting in Lyon, France, to review human evidence coming from epidemiological studies.
It’s worth noting that the WHO’s cancer researchers could have given mobile phones one of five scientific labels: carcinogenic, probably carcinogenic, possibly carcinogenic, not classifiable, or not carcinogenic, reports the BBC. Other “possibly carcinogenic” items, based on previous IARC research, include gasoline engine exhaust, lead, coffee, and dry cleaning.
- Will Cellphone (Mobile Phone) Causes Brain Cancer? WHO: Possibly (mydigitallife.info)
- Cell Phones to Be “Possibly Carcinogenic,” Experts Say (fitsugar.com)
- Cellphones could raise risk of brain cancer: World Health Organization researchers (healthzone.ca)
- Brain cancer warning over mobiles (mirror.co.uk)
- Mobile phones officially under suspicion (nature.com)
- Expert Panel: Cell Phones Might Cause Brain Cancer (tleonidas.wordpress.com)
- Mobile Phone Use May Be Linked to Brain Cancer, WHO Panel Finds (businessweek.com)
Posted on June 2, 2011, in Announcement, Business, Corporations, Education, Health Care, Legal, News, Opinion, petition, Politics, quote, Technology, Warning, World News and tagged BBC, Brain Tumor, cancer, Carcinogen, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, Mobile phone, World Health Organization. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Do cell phones cause brain cancer?.