Project planning for, probably, a year from now…
I’ve started to work on a proposed theatre project which, if it comes to more than just planning and proposing, will be the first time I’ve done something like this in years.
As all of you know, given my series of animated backgrounds on this blog, I have been investigating the life and career of Eadweard Mubridge, his photo and animation experiments and his trial and acquittal on murder charges. While going into Muybridge-iana on the internet, I came across Philip Glass‘s “opera” of a couple of years ago, The Photographer, which is about Muybridge. Like most Glass pieces this is made up of highly repetitive musical signatures… this also includes some words by David Byrne. It’s three act (but short) structure includes signing, mime and orchestral variations… and I see it with projections of Muybridge animations as they would have been seen on a Zoopraxiscope.
I realized, however, three things:
1. No local community theater is likely to touch this idea… it is far too experimental and is not and audience draw. Therefore, finding a place to present it is a problem…
2. Since I want it presented at no charge, raising the money to pull this off is another thing to deal with…
3. Finding the musicians (a small ensemble, including a violinist and a keyboard artist), performers (2 sopranos and a mezzo), a conductor and a choreographer will probably require getting Shepherd University involved, and I’m not sure they will.
One thing at a time, however.
Elly and I went to look at Folly today… Folly is an outdoor performances space that was built some years ago by our friend Al Thomas, out in the woods outside of town. This would be a great place to do the project:
This is fascinating… what a spot.
I’ll comment on the project as I go along… at least as long as it might happen.
- Eadweard J. Muybridge (via ) (calculable.org)
- The Daredevil Whose Photos Solved a Locomotion Mystery (online.wsj.com)
- Film School Lesson #1 (fireponyproductions.wordpress.com)
- The Science of Moving Pictures (neatorama.com)
Posted on May 29, 2011, in Art, Arts, blogs, creativity, history, Music, poetry, recording, Theatre and Art, Word from Bill and tagged Art, Community theatre, David Byrne, Eadweard Muybridge, Philip Glass, Photographer, Shepherd University, Zoopraxiscope. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Project planning for, probably, a year from now….