Daily Archives: May 17, 2011
As Jon Stewart interviewed him on his book, The Psychopath Test, I realized this is one I have to get.
Here’s a video of Ronson:
Take a look at these figures (I picked this up at Talk and Politics):
These are the big oil companies we are paying billions to subsidize while the cost of the gasoline they are putting out has made it more expensive to go to work, or to the grocery store (where prices have gone up do to the transport of food products suffering from increased gas and diesel prices), or to the mall for clothes shopping for kids. Don’t even mention driving on summer vacations around the country.
It makes me wonder what kind of protests can we do that would effect the big oil companies and the government that subsidizes them. We could cut out driving for a week and show that we can reduce their income, but this probably hurts us more than them. We can get on the phone with our Representatives (Federal AND State, both of whom set gas taxes) and smother them with complaints and demands that they eliminate subsidies, make federal reserves available, and, finally, regulate prices so that oil companies can’t raise them (these have all been done before and have worked.) E-mail flooding can be used here, too.
We are now at a time when government of the people, by the people and for the people is standing a desperate test. The prominence of and political control by corporations ( who have been backed by the Supreme Court and whose high contribution rates put our representatives in their pockets), that are concerned ONLY with profits, are the major competitors with the seemingly weak middle and lower class voters… that’s US. If we don’t act now, we deserve what we get.
In this year prior to major elections we can express dissatisfaction at town meetings where these representatives show up to appear people-oriented. Or we can picket capitol buildings. Or we can plan with each other the kinds of things that haven’t been tried before.
- Democrats Seek to Strip $21 Billion in Subsidies from Big Oil (treehugger.com)
- Gene Karpinski: End Taxpayer Handouts to Big Oil (huffingtonpost.com)
- Congress grills big oil on subsidies (rt.com)
- Sen. Claire McCaskill: Ending Taxpayer Subsidies for Big Oil (huffingtonpost.com)
- U..S. Senator Robert Menendez:No More Subsidies for Big Oil (gloucestercitynews.net)
- Gas Prices at $5/gallon : “Problem is we the consumers are at the mercy of both the elected thugs in congress and the corporate oil thugs.” (unaskedadvice.wordpress.com)
- ENERGY – Big Oil Subsidies (cozumelianblogger.wordpress.com)
- Getting Even With ExxonMobil (businessinsider.com)
- Big Oil gets its payday (thehill.com)
- Boehner refuses to consider Democratic proposal to end big oil subsidies (dailykos.com)
- Will Big Oil Get A Bigger Tax Bill? (curiouscapitalist.blogs.time.com)
- “Reid Questions $4 billion in subsidies for Big Oil” and related posts (desertbeacon.blogspot.com)
- Democrats keep up pressure on Big Oil welfare (dailykos.com)