Daily Archives: May 11, 2011
GINGRICH 2012: HE WILL ALWAYS LOVE AMERICA. UNLESS IT GETS CANCER.
– Alex Knapp at Outside The Beltway
If you heard the Speaker make hos speech the other day then you know he is insisting on spending cuts before the debt ceiling can be raised. He is also pushing the classic Republican point of view on cutting taxes on the rich because they will invest in American jobs. Of course they haven’t in the last couple of years as their taxes were slashed.
Perhaps Boehner is not aware that the “trickle-down theory” didn’t work for Reagan or either one of the Bushes. Republicans have limited historic vision… primarily because it is the multimillionaires that provide their funds.
As James Rowley and Mike Dorning said on Bloomberg this morning:
“Boehner’s statement in his Wall Street speech that government spending ‘is crowding out private investment and threatening the availability of capital’ runs counter to the behavior of credit markets… Boehner also said the 2009 stimulus program ‘hampered job creation in our country,’ a view at odds with the Congressional Budget Office‘s findings last August. The stimulus package increased the number of people employed by between 1.4 million and 3.3 million and cut unemployment by between 0.7 percentage point and 1.8 percentage point, according to CBO.”
“Even more alarming, because it has consequences beyond the debt-ceiling debate, is the incoherent, impervious-to-facts economic philosophy undergirding Boehner’s remarks.”
- Boehner Speaks On Debt Ceiling (npr.org)
- Rep. John Boehner holding America hostage over debt ceiling and spending cuts (crooksandliars.com)
- Rep. John Boehner Tells TODAY: Tax Increases Are ‘Off The Table’ (mediaite.com)
- Boehner contradicts self on debt limit, criticizes Bush Treasury secretary (americablog.com)
- Speaker Boehner: Tax hikes are ‘off the table’ (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Dear John (duanegraham.wordpress.com)
I’m in my third day of subbing for John Case on the WSHC Winners and Losers show and once again I’ve gotten up at 5:30, taken my meds, fed the dogs and have had a cup of coffee while I sort out the music for the broadcast.
Now I’m usually a late sleeper and it is an effort to get up on Friday Mornings when I regularly do Winners and Losers with John. But he does this every day… as a matter of fact, he gets up earlier than I do so he can come into Shepherdstown from Harper’s Ferry. He is always bright and intellectually alert this early in the morning, which I give him great credit for.
Anyway, I’m off now to the basement of Knutti Hall where I’ll get on the 89.7 FM microphone once again (you can listen on the internet at http://www.897wshc.org.)
- Harpers Ferry – Civil War History (nowpublic.com)
- Looks like I’ll be doing the radio show alone tomorrow… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)