Daily Archives: May 7, 2011
“Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society.”
I’m getting so tired of listening to the conservative candidates, congressmen and capitalists complain about paying taxes at the level they should be… say, at the rate they were taxed at before George W. Bush lowered them.
As you recall, he lowered the taxes while, at the same time, getting us involved in an Iraq war for dishonest reasons without actually putting the expenses in the reported budget. It is as if bookkeeping and government spending had no relationship.
If a candidate cannot say “Yes, I will have to raise taxes, especially on the rich,” then he (or she) is being completely dishonest. As citizens, we should demand tax increases… and demand military cuts (and demand that we get out of Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan and just about everywhere else in the Middle East.
- George W. Bush saved capitalism. And he got bin Laden too. (dailykos.com)
- Cue the waaaahmbulance: Brent Bozell whines that Bush didn’t get any credit for getting Bin Laden — or ‘winning the Iraq war’ (crooksandliars.com)
- It’s The Opposite Of Bush’s Policies That Make Us More Successful Now Fighting Terror (alan.com)
- Larry Womack: Okay, Let’s Give Bush the Credit He’s Due (huffingtonpost.com)
- The intellectually dishonest left forgets the “Birther” issue started by Democrats, over 50% thought Bush was behind 9/11 (ironmill.wordpress.com)
- Funny or Die: George W. Bush Reacts to the Death of a Top Terrorist Starring Will Ferrell (shoppingblog.com)
- Was George W. Bush a complete Idiot or What? (via Voting American) (pumabydesign001.wordpress.com)
… for the opening of Morgan’s Grove Market. The sun was out, it wasn’t too warm , and people showed up to fill the parking lot.
Elly and I went for a little more than the first hour… bought some vegetables, talked to people and had a great time.
And everyone seemed so happy! This is going to be a regular Saturday morning thing until the late Fall…and we have to hand it to Peter Corum who organized the whole thing and really pulled it off.
Can’t wait until next week… it’s going to be fun.
We walked around the park, spoke to some of Elly’s colleagues from HCC and came back home to feed the dogs and have lunch.
Looks like a nice day here in the Eastern Panhandle.
- Ecology Thinking 101 – Re-Cycling (laf.ee)
…and, of course, there are loonies who don’t believe it…
– and –
…almost invisible if you’re Pakastani…
– and –
Kevin Siers in the Charlotte Observer:
… in your dreams…
– and –
Joel Pett in the Lexington Herald Leader:
…of course for some…like Republicans… nothing is good enough…
– and –
Lee Judge in the Kansas City Star:
… and a salute to the Eagle Team.
- Osama bin Laden cartoon for the ladies. (psychologytoday.com)
- Al-qaeda Vows to Avenge The Death of Osama Bin Laden (socyberty.com)
- Osama bin Laden raid: Four fresh twists in the story (csmonitor.com)
- People not buying Osama Bin Laden’s Death (frankpaulgambino.com)
- Chris Hedges: Osama bin Laden’s death will lead to only more terrorism (via Dandelion Salad) (richardemanuel.wordpress.com)
- Osama bin Laden’s Last Tweet (humpdayreport.wordpress.com)
- “Osama bin Laden’s Wife Reveals More Details From Raid” and related posts (talkleft.com)