Daily Archives: March 24, 2011
What is it about these TeaBag Governors? Have they forgotten all the advances that Labor brought to this country? Eight hour days? Weekends off? Summer vacations? Regular advancements and fair negotiations? This Le Page is as bad as Scott Walker and just as deserving of removal.
- What Maine’s assault on labor history really means (salon.com)
- Maine governor tries to disappear labor history (salon.com)
- Why Gov. LePage Can’t Erase History, And Why We Need a Fighter In The White House (tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Gov. LePage Orders Removal of Labor Mural from Maine Department of Labor (workinprogress.firedoglake.com)
- Robert Reich: Why Maine’s Governor LePage Can’t Erase History, and Why We Need a Fighter in the White House (huffingtonpost.com)
- No pictures of labor in the Department of labor. (preaprez.wordpress.com)
- Maine Governor To Remove Pro-Labor Mural From Labor Department HQ (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
Wilson was one of the founders of the Circle Repertory Company, an off-Broadway repertory group where he premiered his plays. Known for such works as “The Hot l Baltimore” and Talley’s Folly“, he explored such themes as contemporary gay identity, youthful angst and the modern lack of the usual social or ethical standards.
A number of Wilson’s plays reached Broadway, and he received three Tony nominations for best play. But today he is most closely associated with the off-off-Broadway scene. He won the Pulitzer for “Talley’s Folly.”
A revival production of “Burn This,” directed by Nicholas Martin, is set to open at the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles on April 3.
- Theater critics announce six finalists for $25,000 new-play prize (orlandotheater.wordpress.com)
- The Afternoon Report, Thursday, March 24, 2011 (boneaubryanbrown.com)
- Award-Winning Playwright Lanford Wilson Dies (foxnews.com)
“The coalition that was formed following the Paris meeting will abandon the mission and hand it over entirely to a single command system under NATO.
“All of Turkey’s concerns, demands on the issue have been met,”
“People always say that it’s oil behind all this – that’s not true. To have consistent, cheap oil, the best thing would have been to change nothing in Libya. It’s not oil that pushes us to all this.”
- Nato close to Libya command deal (mirror.co.uk)
- Turkish TV: NATO to command Libya operation – msnbc.com (news.google.com)
- NATO reaches agreement on Libya military command (nationalpost.com)
- France and Turkey reach breakthrough deal over Libya (guardian.co.uk)
- Control of Libyan campaign to go to NATO – Turkey (rt.com)
- Deal near: NATO to take control of war “time-limited, scope-limited military action” in Libya; Update: U.S. looking for legal loophole to arm Libyan rebels (hotair.com)
Several of my readers have asked me where I get the little 72 x 72 pixel images I put in some of my posts…especially the ones I use to describe events in my own life. I call these little guys Web Poppers and they are all quality JPEG images that are easily placed onto blog posts (in WordPress I just use the “add an image” button at Upload/Insert).
For 25 years I have been developing picture fonts (many of you have purchased one or more of the monthly promotions over in the next column that I use to fund this blog) and have built up thousands of images over the years. Some are abstract decorations, some are food oriented, many are people doing activities…and more. As I have perfected some of these and converted them to small JPEGs, I have been finding all kinds of ways to use them (such as I am doing on this post.)
Next week I will be releasing a CD with 300 of the best of these images, the ones I use the most, which I will be selling for $39.95, which includes shipping and sales tax. There are no limitations on how you may use them… I would hope, however, that you don’t sell them to someone else, but send them your friends to me. The funds I receive from this offer will help keep Under The LobsterScope going into the future.
Look for the release ad next week.
- Let’s Make a Joyful Noise… My Little White Mac Laptop Is Back! (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Make a Mini-Marshmallow Popper (education.com)
- The intelligence of dogs. (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Two Dogs Eating a Meal With a Knife and Fork (laughingsquid.com)
- The Smartest Dog in the World, A Darkly Funny Animation by Grickle (laughingsquid.com)
This from Reuters:
Reuters describes the bodies of eighteen Libyan civilians officials say were killed overnight by Western air strikes in Tripoli. Some of the bodies were charred beyond recognition, the agency reports after journalists examined what were the first victims seen by foreign reporters:
“They are civilians. They are not guilty of anything,” said morgue worker Abdel Salaam.
- Western air strikes fail to dislodge Gadhafi armour (theprovince.com)
- Libyan officials show charred bodies to reporters (reuters.com)
- Western air strikes fail to dislodge Gadhafi armour (calgaryherald.com)
- WRAPUP 4-Western air strikes fail to dislodge Gaddafi armour (reuters.com)
- VIDEO: Libyans in Tripoli ‘back Gaddafi’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Libya crisis: live updates (guardian.co.uk)
Aflac is auditioning voices to find the one that will replace the fired Gilbert Gottfried…and you could be the one.
All you have to do is record an audition piece and get it e-mailed to Aflac at http://www.quackaflac.com/applyonline by April Fool’s Day.
Here are the guidelines:
* Submitted by 11:59pm PST on Friday 4/1
* No more than 30 seconds long
* 10MB or smaller
* File name includes your first and last names
* Is a standard file format:
o Audio: mp3, wav, midi, wma, mpa, mp2, m2a, ra
o Video: mov, qt, mpeg, mpg, wmv, rmvb, rm, avi, m4a, mp4, m4v
Note: Although I spent a little time during my job search period selling Aflac some years ago, I have no relationship, economic or otherwise, to these auditions. I assume Salon doesn’t either. I will be entering, however.
- Do You Have What It Takes to Be the Next Gilbert Gottfried? (eonline.com)
- Aflac seeks new voice for its duck (sfgate.com)
- Aflac Seeks New Voice for Its Duck (abcnews.go.com)
- The Aflac Duck Will Quack Again (dealbook.nytimes.com)
- Are you annoying? Aflac needs new duck voice (msnbc.msn.com)