Daily Archives: March 21, 2011
Newsweek recently asked 1,000 U.S. citizens to take America’s official citizenship test and found 29% couldn’t name the vice president, 73% couldn’t correctly say why we fought the Cold War, 44% were unable to define the Bill of Rights and 6% couldn’t even circle Independence Day on a calendar.
Today was my daughter Penny’s 38th Birthday, so I drove over to her house to say Happy Birthday and bring her a card. Then I went out to buy groceries, cam home to walk the dogs and fell asleep in my recliner.
I’ll get back to everything tomorrow.
Now it looks like our participation in the No Fly Zone in Libya is a bigger thing than the UN asked for…
Here’s what Obama says:
United States military efforts are discrete and focused on employing unique U.S. military capabilities to set the conditions for our European allies and Arab partners to carry out the measures authorized by the U.N. Security Council Resolution.
President Obama states that despite warnings, Gaddafi has not implemented a promised cease-fire:
His illegitimate use of force not only is causing the deaths of substantial numbers of civilians among his own people, but also is forcing many others to flee to neighboring countries, thereby destabilizing the peace and security of the region. Left unaddressed, the growing instability in Libya could ignite wider instability in the Middle East, with dangerous consequences to the national security interests of the United States.
NBC’s Richard Engel reports from Libya:
“Rebels say they are incredibly encouraged now that they have Western military support, but the rebels are leaderless. They are poorly armed; they are disorganized.”
Gaddafi’s forces are not giving up, however. This from Reuters:
Forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi fired on a crowd of unarmed people in the rebel-held city of Misrata on Monday and are using civilians as human shields against air strikes, residents said.
It looks like the United States forces are taking over leadership of the UN action… however, I just heard the NY Times reporter in Paris say on the radio that we are doing more in the eyes of the Arabs than the UN has called for. That is, to me, our regular stumble in the Middle East.
- Questions in the air despite no-fly zone (fullcomment.nationalpost.com)
- Rebels Want Gaddafi Ousted, Not Dead (huffingtonpost.com)
- Libya Coalition Politics (outsidethebeltway.com)
- WRAPUP 14-Western powers strike Libya;Arab League has doubts (reuters.com)
- Western strike hits Gaddafi compound (theparthenon.wordpress.com)
- Operation Odyssey Dawn: What Next After No-Fly Zone? (nowpublic.com)
- Bombs boost Libya rebels – Sydney Morning Herald (news.google.com)
- Libya: Gaddafi holds out against air strikes – live updates (guardian.co.uk)
- Libya: Military Chief Rules Out Gaddafi Hit (news.sky.com)
- Arab League Denounces Military Strikes By U.S. and Allies on Libya (jonathanturley.org)