Daily Archives: February 19, 2011
After 4 days of protesting, Wisconsin Union employees and students continue their peaceful protest against Republican Governor Scott Walker. Thousands of them are there, but Tea-Party supporters of Walker are coming in. mostly from out of state, with counter protests. Meanwhile, Democratic State Senators remain away from the Capitol, avoiding even a discussion on Walker’s anti-Union legislation.
This from Graeme Zielinski, spokesman for the Wisconsin Democratic Party:
“It is my belief that the Republicans will generate and propagate the idea that these are not the peaceful protests that they are. They hate that democracy is happening in the way it should, instead of the way that Scott Walker wants and fashions in the Capitol, which is with no debate, no discussion, no deliberation, no speech. They hate that we have been peaceful and will continue to be peaceful, and they want to create and use a mythology to promote their agenda, which is absolutely harmful to the working man.”
- There’s a Tea Party rally in Wisconsin today – pro-Scott Walker – and I’m a bit wary. (althouse.blogspot.com)
- Thousands of protesters surround Wisconsin Capitol (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- What’s Happening in Wisconsin: Explained (alternet.org)
- Obey: Wisconsin Gov. Walker Is Channeling Mubarak (alternet.org)
- Paul Ryan: Wisconsin Protests ‘Like Cairo Has Moved To Madison’ (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Idiot of the Week: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (atheistrev.com)
They cut funding for HIV tests, cancer screenings, birth control, and more, putting millions of women and families at risk. We can’t let it go unanswered. It’s time for you and me to stand with Planned Parenthood.
- I Stand With Planned Parenthood (benjaminste.in)
- The Evil Men Do (feministphilosophers.wordpress.com)
- House Votes to Stop Funding Planned Parenthood: What This Means for You (self.com)
- Planned Parenthood Speaks Out on GOP Attack – The Root (news.google.com)
- House Votes to Strip Planned Parenthood of Federal Funds (slog.thestranger.com)