Speak out on Monsanto… Tell the President…
Over the past 12 days, the Obama administration has recklessly and unnecessarily chosen to approve two biotech crops, Roundup Ready genetically modified (GMO) alfalfa and Roundup Ready genetically modified (GMO) sugar beets. While the planting of both these crops had been temporarily halted due to court decisions, Obama’s recent approval of them will allow them to be planted as early as this spring, despite widespread acknowledgment that these crops are certain to contaminate both conventional and organic farmers‘ non-GMO crops. Their approval only benefits one company — Monsanto.
These decisions are a devastating blow to our democracy and the basic rights of farmers to choose how they want to grow food on their land and the rights of consumers who increasingly choose organic and sustainably grown food for its positive health and environmental impacts.
Let them know that you care about organic integrity by following this link from Food Democracy Now!, then please pass this on. Please join me in telling President Obama that it’s time to stand up to Monsanto and reject these GMO crops today!
Every voice counts!
- Keep GMOs Out of ‘Organic’! (zoecarnate.wordpress.com)
- Call President Obama: Stop Monsanto’s GMO alfalfa (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- “Say NO – and tell Obama to say NO – to Monsanto’s GMO Alfalfa! (2 items)â€” and related posts (markcrispinmiller.com)
- Yet another blow to organics: USDA approves Monsanto’s GMO sugar beets (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- USDA Deregulates GMO Sugar Beets, Farmers and Biotech Finds Common Ground in … – New West (news.google.com)
- Monsanto GM Sugar Beets (and Alfalfa) Approval: Why This is Bad News (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- Politics Dominate the FDA and USDA Putting Consumer Interests Aside – More … – Blogger News Network (blog) (news.google.com)
- USDA ‘partially deregulates’ GM sugar beets, defying court order (grist.org)
Posted on February 13, 2011, in Business, campaign, Climate Change, Economics, editorial, Education, Family, food, government, Health Care, history, News, Opinion, Organic Gardening, Politics, President Obama, Warning, Word from Bill and tagged Food Democracy Now, Genetic engineering, Genetically modified organism, Monsanto, Obama Administration, Organic farming, Roundup (herbicide), United States Department of Agriculture. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Speak out on Monsanto… Tell the President….