And it begins again… this time in the Senate
“Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”
As I settled in this afternoon awaiting a coming ice storm (the first of these just missed us last night) and curious about what’s going on in Egypt where around 2 million people were demonstrating today for Hosni Mubarak‘s resignation (in a speech this afternoon he said he would not run for reelection and would be out of office by the Fall… as you might guess, this does not seem good enough for the demonstrators who want him out now) I wondered what was happening on C-Span 2.
I thought I’d watch the Senate debate the FAA Funding Bill and what do you think happened? Senate Republicans have attempted to repeal last year’s sweeping health care law via an amendment to a FAA funding, proposed by the beloved Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) Not since the Earth’s creation some 6000+ years ago, when men and dinosaurs peaceably shared the world, have I heard such idiocy.
So, instead of solving the major problem of supporting and improving Airline regulations, we are listening to Republicans tell us that most Americans are opposed to the Health Care law (although recent polls indicate that an average of 80% of those Americans DON”T WANT IT REPEALED!) They are adamant that 50 million people who became covered due to parts of the Affordable Care Act should be dropped from coverage… and at the same time they will continue to waste our time and money with this kind of folderol. I thought Harry Reid was going to keep this crap off the floor.
I guess this is going to be Mitch’s strategy… no matter what bill is proposed, Mitch will see to it that an amendment to repeal Health Care will be included. And we will look on in disbelief. Maybe we need 2 million Americans to stand outside of Congress until Mitch and his pals decide to take an early vacation.
- On Aviation & Health Care: Senate Poised To Vote On Repeal (blogs.abcnews.com)
- GOP Plans To Force Vote On Health Care Repeal (huffingtonpost.com)
- US’s Reid: Sees ‘Serious Talks’ To Cut Deficit;But Not Soc Sec (forexlive.com)
- Republicans Look to Build Steam for Health Care Law Repeal After Florida … – Fox News (news.google.com)
- Senate’s 47 GOP members agree to back health care repeal bill – USA Today (news.google.com)
- Senate Republicans Seek State Opt-Out of Health-Care Overhaul (businessweek.com)
- Hosni Mubarak Addresses Egypt [Updated] (laist.com)
- In Congress, GOP backs Obama’s Egypt stance, Dems not so much – Christian Science Monitor (news.google.com)
- Democrats, GOP form chorus on Egypt (politico.com)
Posted on February 1, 2011, in Announcement, budget, Congress, Finance, government, Health Care, Legal, Lies, News, Opinion, Politics, Polls, Taxes, Television, vote, Word from Bill and tagged Affordable Care Act, Federal Aviation Administration, Harry Reid, Hosni Mubarak, Mark Twain, Mitch McConnell, repeal, United States. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on And it begins again… this time in the Senate.