Daily Archives: January 13, 2011
In the midst of everyone trying to be more “Civil”, the Conservative Media have shown that they don’t know the meaning of the word.
This from Media Matters:
An exerpt from TPM:
- A Democratic Legislator Has Been Shot. Therefore Republicans Should Change the Name of Their Health Care Repeal Bill. (reason.com)
- Rep. Chellie Pingree: For Gabby’s Sake, Republicans Should Change the Name of Their Health Care Repeal Bill (huffingtonpost.com)
- Rep. Pingree Calls for Name Change on “Repeal of the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act” (news.firedoglake.com)
- Oh Lord help this sincerely stupid woman! (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Time for a civilized debate about ways to reduce gun violence (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Repeal vote postponed, but will Giffords shooting change debate? (dailykos.com)
We need to separate politics from guns, and by that I mean we have to deal with the NRA lobby. I am judging editorial cartoons for this weekend’s “Cartoon(s) of the Week”, a regular feature on this blog, and I am struck by how many of them deal with gun laws and the NRA. Maybe the tragedy at Tucson will get us into a good gun/politics discussion.
“I want people in Minnesota armed and dangerous…“ – Rep. Michelle Bachmann
“Get on target for victory in November. Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office. Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly“ –Jesse Kelly campaign ad
“Don’t retreat– reload.” –Sarah Palin
“I am convinced the most important thing the Founding Fathers did to ensure me my First Amendment rights was they gave me a Second Amendment. And if ballots don’t work, bullets will.” –Joyce Kaufmann, former chief of staff for Rep. Allen West
- Jared Lee Loughner: A Gun Without a Trigger? (omnipotentpoobah.com)
- Josh Horwitz: Tucson Shooting Shows True Face of NRA’s “Second Amendment Remedies” (huffingtonpost.com)
- Chris Matthews has redeemed himself with me for his program today on the talk of guns as a solution in political rhetoric (iflizwerequeen.com)
- Will Tucson Tragedy Shift Gun Control Debate? (cbsnews.com)
- Did America’s Gun Fetish Make Arizona Shooting Inevitable? (my.firedoglake.com)
- Tucson puts gun control politics back on the map (thegrio.com)
- Will the Gun Lobby Win Again? (thedailybeast.com)
- Why there’s no more debate on gun control (money.cnn.com)
- John Feffer: Gun Crazy: NRA and Pentagon (huffingtonpost.com)
- Bill Maher: NRA Should Change Their Name To ‘Assasin’s Lobby’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Gun-Control Advocates Resigned To Few Changes In Wake Of Giffords Shooting (huffingtonpost.com)
- ONE CONSTANT: American Gun Industry Thrives (huffingtonpost.com)
Here’s some more good news…
As you may know, it was revealed after the Saturday shootings that a gun store in South Carolina was selling an assault rifle part with the etched words “You Lie” referring to Representative Joe Wilson’s (R – SC) shouted words during Obama‘s State of the Union Address in 2009.
The dealer, Palmetto State Armory, put an ad for the item on their web site with the words “Palmetto State Armory would like to honor our esteemed congressman Joe Wilson with the release of our new ‘You Lie’ AR-15 lower receiver.”
Yesterday this report of the products withdrawal from the market was broadcast on CNN:
CNN reports that Rep. Joe Wilson has been told by a South Carolina gun company that it is discontinuing the sale of a rifle part engraved with the words “you lie.”
Wilson, R-S.C., attracted national attention for screaming out “you lie” during a speech by President Obama in 2009.
CNN quotes a letter from Wilson, forwarded to the network by the congressman’s staff, thanking Palmetto State Armory for discontinuing sales of the rifle part.
“I thank you for quickly suspending sales of the product that uses my words,“
It’s good to see something like this taken off the market, but it begs the question of why it had been put there anyway (wasn’t South Carolina the first state to secede from the Union causing the Civil War?).
- SC Armory Embosses Rep. Joe Wilson’s “You Lie” on Automatic Rifle Part (bigthink.com)
- “You Lie” Semi-Automatic Rifle Components (politicalwire.com)
- Rep Joe Wilson “Honored” By “You Lie” On Assault Gun Component (alan.com)
- Build Your Own Joe Wilson Commemorative “You Lie” Assault Rifle! (firedoglake.com)
- Joe Wilson ‘You Lie’ Slogan Etched Onto Line Of Assault Rifle Components (huffingtonpost.com)
- ‘Both sides’ don’t produce politicized assault rifle components (washingtonmonthly.com)
- “Incite violence? Who? Us?”…. (tagg-lines.com)
- “Joe Wilson inspired “You Lie!” rifle available for sale in South Carolina” and related posts (feministe.us)
- Glock Sales Surge After Arizona Shootings (businessweek.com)
- Arizona Green Party continues to advocate for non-violence after tragedy in Tucson (wilderside.wordpress.com)
- Obama Calls For Civility, Without Casting Blame (outsidethebeltway.com)
- President Obama’s Speech Secrets Now Revealed to You (socyberty.com)
- NYT: Obama’s speech tomorrow to focus on public service, avoid “rhetoric” debate (hotair.com)